Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make some window cornices and have a few questions. I could just wing this and they'd probably come out okay, but I want them to come out better than okay. This is for 3 windows on a bay with the smallest dimension from the window to a corner of roughly 6". So what I'm thinking is getting some large crown moulding and make the lower angle about 1" larger on either side of the window. I will of course have to be careful on how large of crown mould I use as to not go over my 6" maximum. Then basically put a piece of 1x over the top and let hang over about 1/2" (still not going over my 6" max). Once that is all figured, I will need to mortise out half the dimension of the back side to fit in a 1/4 ply backer. Then a couple of keyholes for mounting. Does that sound like I'm on the right track or not? I've seen these a million times, but you know how it is when you go to start cutting up lumber! Any advise will definately be appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
RealMacgyver,
This is a trim job that I did last year, Look the the sides of the mantle at the windows, is this what you are looking to do? I basically cut down a stock widow stool and crowned it making sure to wrap the crown around the edge. I nailed it to the window framing and then attached a trim piece to the freize board to conceal my nails. Trim the rest of the window with stock casing.

Hope this helps,

Scott Mordecki/ Nailgunner7

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you talking about making a continuous sill that runs along the bottom of the window's with crown underneath or something entirely different just not sure if I'm understanding what you are trying to achieve.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nailgunner, that looks real nice.

crazyjohnni (and anyone else): I guess I could permanently attach something, but I had a hanging style in mind. The ones I've seen similar are usually sold as shelves and use a keyhole slot on the backside for mounting, this way you never see the hanger. I guess the main reason I want to do it this way is because they will be a gift. I want to finish them and then I can mount them in a few minutes. They will go above the window on the inside. They will be a shelf also, but not very deep. Hope that makes a little more sense. Maybe what I'm talking about isn't called a cornice? Sometimes we have to make up our own names for things, ya know what I mean.:laughing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts