Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, haven't been around much lately, but still lurk. Anyway, my wife's been bugging me for years now to build this bench for her to store things in and offer more seating when we have people over... and that's just what she got.

It's nothing overly fancy, but it does the job and she's happy I finally got around to it. She made the bench cushions and pillows.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great! Do all 3 sections open up?
Thanks! Yessir, all three sections open for storage underneath. I didn't think she'd be able to fill them up, but damned if she didn't!

It's ok, I'm doing built-ins currently in another room and there's no way she can fill THOSE up. :thumbsup:

Ahh who am I kidding? They'll be filled before I paint the molding.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That looks great Taylormade! Very nicely done on the fit and finish. I've tossed around the idea of making one of these more for the storage than anything else.

Got any pictures of the inside or how you attached it to the wall/floor?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I think I can take some more pics of the inside. It's not fastened in any shape or form to the floor or wall, but it 'aint going anywhere. It's made of 3/4" ply with 1/8" beadboard and then 3/4 poplar for the face framing.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Yeah, I think I can take some more pics of the inside. It's not fastened in any shape or form to the floor or wall, but it 'aint going anywhere. It's made of 3/4" ply with 1/8" beadboard and then 3/4 poplar for the face framing.

Out of curiosity & for future reference, did you join the plywood like cabinets? Or did you just screw it together & glue the beadboard on?

I like your design and how it came out. Looks great.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nicely done indeed. Looks comfy. Cushions came out nice too.
Thanks Mike!
man that nice, did you do the cushions too
Thanks very much! My wife did the cushions and pillows.

Out of curiosity & for future reference, did you join the plywood like cabinets? Or did you just screw it together & glue the beadboard on?

I like your design and how it came out. Looks great.
I made them as if they were cabinets (just rabbits and glue) and then glued bead board on top of the cabs. I rabbited out each of the face frames so that it fit flush with the beadboard as if it were a picture frame and ran a thin line of caulk around the inside to hide any gaps.

Piano hinges hold the lids to the boxes. Here's some pics with them opened.

·
Registered
24 Posts
They look awesome I like the use of the3 boxes, I attempted a similar project but made in one piece, it was a nightmare

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They look awesome I like the use of the3 boxes, I attempted a similar project but made in one piece, it was a nightmare
Yeah, I kicked that around for exactly 30 seconds in my brain before saying "uh. no."

Very nice Taylor.
Glad to see you back at it.
Thanks Dom!

Nicely done. Virginia Tech grad? I graduated from VT in 2010.
Yessir, Hokie Hi! I'm quite a bit older, however, and class of 94. I get up to the 'burg once a year though to watch my beloved Hokies and then travel to GT/UM every time they're playing away.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yessir, Hokie Hi! I'm quite a bit older, however, and class of 94. I get up to the 'burg once a year though to watch my beloved Hokies and then travel to GT/UM every time they're playing away.
Sadly it's a bit far for me to travel to Blacksburg now. I went to a game last year when I lived on the east coast, but that will probably be it for a long time.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sadly it's a bit far for me to travel to Blacksburg now. I went to a game last year when I lived on the east coast, but that will probably be it for a long time.
Hey man, it happens. It's not as important to get back "home" as it is to remember home as it was when you were there.

I grew up in Stafford, just north of Fredericksburg. I haven't been there since 98 and everyone I've talked to has told me that I literally wouldn't recognize anything there. It's because of that advice I haven't been, even though I've had multiple opportunities.

10 years ago I moved from Panama City Beach to Tampa. I went back to PCB two years after I moved and I couldn't believe the change. I was totally bummed. My favorite bars were now condos, the small, beachfront house I owned alongside my four neighbors, was now a condo, just nothing like I left.

That said, I still find a way to get to Blacksburg every year, ha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts