Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wondering if anyone has any info on this spindle sander.
I picked it at an estate sale today. They had $35 on it but I got it for $15. They didn't have a manual for it. My concern is the way they have the spindle bolted on. Looks homemade.
Also the spindle spins but the sandpaper moves freely on the rubber spindle. Is there a way to tighten it up on the rubber spindle?
Thanks for any help.

image-1123622891.jpg

image-424699318.jpg

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
It may be the rubber is worn out on the spindle and you need a new spindle. I would take the oversized washer off of the top of it and replace it with one smaller than the spindle. This may be preventing the nut on top from tightening well enough.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I'll give it a try some time tomorrow.
I really didn't want this thing and surprisingly the wife said offer him $15 for it, so I did.
She usually tells me I have plenty of tools, but you all know how that is. Lol
Tried looking it up to see what they go for new, but had no luck. Also to see where they sell this brand. Yea I'm sure it's a cheapo, but I guess for me it'll suffice.
Thanks again.

·
7,222 Posts
That is a great buy for $15. Looks like my Grizzly version.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0538

The rubber sleeves are loose, by design. You need a good amount of tightening to get the rubber to hold the sleeve. This is good since it means the sleeve comes off easily.

The nut and washer does look crude, but it is the same as on my Grizzly.

In your picture the large washer needs to be removed. Different size washers for different sleeves.

I have the Ridgid oscillating spindle sander and the rubber is far too tight, the sleeves do not want to come off later.

Now that you have this, you should find it very useful. :thumbsup:

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave Paine said:
That is a great buy for $15. Looks like my Grizzly version. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0538 The rubber sleeves are loose, by design. You need a good amount of tightening to get the rubber to hold the sleeve. This is good since it means the sleeve comes off easily. The nut and washer does look crude, but it is the same as on my Grizzly. In your picture the large washer needs to be removed. Different size washers for different rollers. I have the Ridgid oscillating spindle sander and the rubber is far too tight, the sleeves do not want to come off later. Now that you have this, you should find it very useful. :thumbsup:
Thanks for pointing that out Dave.
It also came with this, but not sure what it's for.
Sorry for newbie questions. Lol
Like I said earlier, I didn't get a manual.

image-272804131.jpg

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out Dave.
It also came with this, but not sure what it's for.
Sorry for newbie questions. Lol
Like I said earlier, I didn't get a manual.
That piece of plastic looks exactly like a lock collar to a squirrel proof cover for a bird feeder I bought some time ago. I think this somehow got mixed up with your sander. :laughing:

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave Paine said:
That piece of plastic looks exactly like a lock collar to a squirrel proof cover for a bird feeder I bought some time ago. I think this somehow got mixed up with your sander. :laughing:
Laughing!!!!!
It came in a sandwich bag along with two wrenches and two little rubber thingamabobs.

image-2091407262.jpg

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
I think it was made by Ryobi. I don't believe that either one is still on the market. But the rubber sleeves and sanding sleeves are standard.
You need a smaller fender washer for the sleeves you pictured.
The wrenches and rubber thingamabobs are likely not accesories for the sander. I'd take them back and demand a discount.:thumbsup:
$15 is a good buy. Even if they did make you take the other stuff.:laughing:

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
Thanks guys I'll give it a try some time tomorrow.
I really didn't want this thing and surprisingly the wife said offer him $15 for it, so I did.
She usually tells me I have plenty of tools, but you all know how that is. Lol
Tried looking it up to see what they go for new, but had no luck. Also to see where they sell this brand. Yea I'm sure it's a cheapo, but I guess for me it'll suffice.
Thanks again.
I would have bought it. A spindle sander is one of the things on my wish list. I've been looking for a floor model though but for that price you can't beat it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have one. it really is not that good.
The nut and strips out and the top of the threads gets wrecked trying
to tighten with the cheap wrench.
I bought mine new and managed to get about 5 years out of it
with help from the shop at work.
They gave me lots of metric nuts and rethreaded it a few times.
The washer should be smaller than the sleeve you are using so
it compresses the rubber.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
croaker said:
I have one. it really is not that good. The nut and strips out and the top of the threads gets wrecked trying to tighten with the cheap wrench. I bought mine new and managed to get about 5 years out of it with help from the shop at work. They gave me lots of metric nuts and rethreaded it a few times. The washer should be smaller than the sleeve you are using so it compresses the rubber.
So if I get a good wrench and a good tap set (which i do have) I'll be good then? Laughing!!!!
Thanks.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You will be good for awhile.
The worst part is that to really tighten it good you have to either use the slotted end of the wrench or a small wrench on the end of the shaft.
If it wasn't for that it would be a pretty good little sander.
I still have mine trying to come up with a way to fix it and use it.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Also thanks for the tips. And heads up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts