Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever at work, lunchtime always finds me out in the truck tuned in to my favorite radio talk show, chewing on a sandwich and chugging a coke, regardless the weather.

While engaged in that ritual yesterday, I noticed several large branches from a nearby willow had succumbed to the latest winter blast.

Like any ardent woodworker, I began calculating bdft. I had to chuckle when I realized it could have been a sapling bent over and I'd be pondering how many 1x1's I could get out of it.

Then it hit me...
For years now I've been carousing the local mills, yards and antique shows with all the enthusiasm of a titmouse in a grain field. Never have I seen a project, nay, nary a board made from the stuff.

Given the abundence of willow here in SE Michigan, and that one good tree would yield many bdft, it begs the question... why?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
There are a few types of willow. Black willow is cut for lumber (no personal experience with it) http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/LandownerFactsheets/detail.cfm?Genus=Salix&Species=*****

Here are some pictures of a black willow tree.
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=86

Weeping willow is very common around here, I've often wondered what the wood looks like, probably nothing spectacular in appearance or strength. They do get big, and branch low so I bet a big wide crotch slab would look cool though. But I have a feeling the wood is too soft to do much with. (other than carving and turning I guess)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Here in the U.K. Willow is used for Cricket bats :thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Use it for the same as poplar or aspen. Willow is a type of poplar. I will see if I can find a peice out in the barn tommrow.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daren,
Weeping willow is exactly what this stuff is. The links were kind of cool, have them bookmarked now....thanks

Mackem,
Them crickets across the pond must be rather large. We here in the States find that a good shoe bashes the noisy buggers well enough :laughing: .

All kidding aside, it raises an interesting thought. I could turn a few sections into baseball bats and donate them off. I get some practice and a worthy cause gets a few bats. I wonder if they would hold up. Ash was the wood of choice, but the recent outbreak of bugs has left a short supply.

Treating it like poplar is another thought. Most would paint it, wouldn't they? The horror. Would have to sit in the corner, probably bound and gagged, and let the wife do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts