Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to screw and unscrew a wood screw more than once, would it lose strength over time?

I'm asking because I have a walnut slab dining table that I plan to assemble, and disassemble on a weekly basis. The steel legs are each attached with (4) multi-purpose 2" wood screws. Thanks! - Danny

·
Registered
42 Posts
No the screw will not loose strength due to screwing and unscrewing however, I believe you are really asking about the joint and it will get looser over time due to the screw always going in and out. If you are looking at disassembly often I would recommend that you put a Rod into one piece and use a washer and bolt or wing nut on the other side. When you consistently install and remove threaded items into wood the opening tends to open up and become sloppy.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
When I was a kid we used to squirt some yellow glue in every screw hole at assembly. You could do that too. If it's possible, I would convert the screw holes to threaded inserts and and change out the screws.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
John
3,028 Posts
If I were to screw and unscrew a wood screw more than once, would it lose strength over time?

I'm asking because I have a walnut slab dining table that I plan to assemble, and disassemble on a weekly basis. The steel legs are each attached with (4) multi-purpose 2" wood screws. Thanks! - Danny
Like everyone has said, yes, the joint will get looser and looser. I figure wood screw joints are only good for a half dozen or so assembly/disassembly operations.
If you are planning on this being a weekly operation, I would make it as toolless as possible. Hanger bolts with wing nuts or even knobs maybe?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
wood screws will loose some strength eventually, they will get work hardened, and eventually break. I'd agree.....hanger bolts and nuts would be a better choice.

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
One other thing that can happen is that the slots, +s, or square recesses will become worn and hard to turn with your screwdriver.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Al B Thayer said:
When I was a kid we used to squirt some yellow glue in every screw hole at assembly. You could do that too. If it's possible, I would convert the screw holes to threaded inserts and and change out the screws.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.
+1 for the inserts.

·
Registered
12,588 Posts
No the screw will not loose strength due to screwing and unscrewing however, I believe you are really asking about the joint and it will get looser over time due to the screw always going in and out. If you are looking at disassembly often I would recommend that you put a Rod into one piece and use a washer and bolt or wing nut on the other side. When you consistently install and remove threaded items into wood the opening tends to open up and become sloppy.
This is a good answer.

George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts