Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to glue on a few ornamental pieces on an antique that I have refinished and have started the top coating process (2 of 6 wipe on coats done). Some of the epoxy glue seeped out.

Will the top coat adhere to the epoxy glue or do I have to remove it?

Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't it a lil late for this question if you already have 2 coats applied? I would hope for the best now. :smile:
I don't understand your unkind comments. If the top coat will adhere to the excess epoxy then I have no issue. If it will not then I need to carefully scrap off the excess epoxy. I am just looking for some feedback from someone who may have had this experience.

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
I don't understand your unkind comments. If the top coat will adhere to the excess epoxy then I have no issue. If it will not then I need to carefully scrap off the excess epoxy. I am just looking for some feedback from someone who may have had this experience.
My comment was not meant to be unkind. Sorry if I came across that way. Scraping the already applied top coats off will certainly show in the remaining coats. I would have applied a coat of sealer if I was top coating anything other than bare wood. You don't say what your finish is, so I have no way of knowing. :smile:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My comment was not meant to be unkind. Sorry if I came across that way. Scraping the already applied top coats off will certainly show in the remaining coats. I would have applied a coat of sealer if I was top coating anything other than bare wood. You don't say what your finish is, so I have no way of knowing. :smile:
Scott my reaction was out of line. My apologies.

I had planned to re-nail these very small ornamental pieces. But 100 year old stripped and sanded small pieces sure did not like this approach. Three of the first 4 broke so I went with the epoxy glue approach

The stain and 2 top coats that are already on are both MinWax oil based products. The glue is only an issue right near the small ornamental pieces so perhaps I will try to carefully scrape the glue off without impacting the stain.

Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
If you have glossy epoxy glue on the surface of the wood there could be adhesion issues. If though the epoxy is roughened by sanding or other means then topcoats will adhere.

If you see the epoxy while it is wet you could wash the excess off with acetone.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have glossy epoxy glue on the surface of the wood there could be adhesion issues. If though the epoxy is roughened by sanding or other means then topcoats will adhere.

If you see the epoxy while it is wet you could wash the excess off with acetone.
Thanks Steve. I did actually roughen up the epoxy a bit by trying gently to scrape it off so I should be okay.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts