Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to repurpose some wood I removed from an old table. It seems to be 3/4 poplar with a veneer of some type of hardwood. Will it affect my planer blades if I use it to remove the veneer so that I could reuse the poplar?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
i've never attempted to remove a veneer with the planer. in theory, if you make the cut deep enough to get under the glue line, it should work. the glue is the hardest thing in a glue up, and can dull blades quickly. may rattle the box some too... may be a good use for old blades.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think it would depend on what kind of blades you have on your planer? I have a spiral cutterhead on my planer and I wouldn't hesitate at all to run it through mine. But, if I had just a straight knife planer probably not. I've planed plywood numerous times and they seem just as sharp now as the day I bought my planer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a straight knife planer. After seeing the replies, I don't think I will chance damaging my planer and will figure out another way to get to the poplar. Thanks for the replies.

·
where's my table saw?
29,960 Posts
depending on the age...

I have a straight knife planer. After seeing the replies, I don't think I will chance damaging my planer and will figure out another way to get to the poplar. Thanks for the replies.
Modern veneers are applied with glues and adhesive that are difficult to remove. Older pieces are glued with hide glue which is easier to remove: http://www.ehow.com/how_5566606_remove-wood-veneer.html

http://www.decoradventures.com/2012/02/how-to-remove-wood-veneer-from.html

Other solutions here: http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...veneer+from+wood&fr2=sa-gp&fr=ytff1-tyc-inbox

·
Registered
178 Posts
TomC said:
To make it thinner! Just kidding, I have no idea and would like an answer also. Tom
It's pretty simple guy...... To make it thinner. Lol!! As you know when it comes to woodworking a lot of times you have to improvise and find ways to make things work. So, let's say you needed a piece of ply to be exactly 1/2" then plane down some 5/8". I wouldn't do it with a straight knife cutterhead but my industrial 20" planer with a spiral cutterhead it's not a big deal. Cheers!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am trying to repurpose some wood I removed from an old table. It seems to be 3/4 poplar with a veneer of some type of hardwood. Will it affect my planer blades if I use it to remove the veneer so that I could reuse the poplar?
Why not run it through a table saw to remove the veneer. I don't think I would chance running it through a planer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried unsuccessfully to remove it with an iron so I ripped it to a manageable size and then removed the veneer with the table saw. This worked great with the side benefit that I was able to salvage the veneer for a possible future project.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Plywood is made using an uneven number of plies. This is what gives plywood it strength and stability. If you remove a single ply you can expect that some warpage may result. You would have to be able to rather quickly apply a new veneer. Various adhesives are used to laminate plywood. Some are quite hard and you may end up with damaged or dull planer knives.

If you want poplar, why not just turn the panel over so the poplar face is up?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts