Woodworking Talk banner

Wild and woolly lathe turning:

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Ben M 
#1 ·
Something else again!

#4 ·
I saw that done about 15 years ago at Berea Ky where the school there makes the little bowling pins for skittles games. They could make a pin and have it sanded in thrown in the box in about a minute or less.
I would have roughed it out with a roughing gouge before starting. Would have been faster and much easier on router as well. The downside of using a router or Duplicator is there are certain cuts you can't do, like straight sides to beads or on the side of a tenon. For those cuts you have to turn them by hand. I mount my tool rest backwards on the lathe when I use the duplicator. Then I put the lathe in reverse and walk around to the backside of the lathe do the finish cuts that the duplicator can't do.

#7 ·
John Lucas; I have used a grinder with a lathe but I used it against the wood not with it. The angle grinder copier defeats the purpose, blade going same direction as spinning wood. Why not work on the opposite side of the lathe? That way the grinder would actually be aggressively cutting against the wood like it is intended. The way your grinder copier works it would be just a fast(if not faster) to use regular lathe tools, and probably safer.

#10 ·
The part that looks dangerous is that the log starts up so far from round. There's a big, flat, square wood face that looks like it could slam squarely into the end of the router bit. I have no idea what that would do---snap the bit? Smash the thrust bearing on the router? It'd look safer with an even longer bit, long enough so the wood only ever hits the shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.