41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Reactions: Dominick

·
Over the hills n far away
542 Posts
My Dad was a carpenter and watching him build things with his hands was inspirational to me. He made it look easy. That got my interest going at an early age, somewhere around 10 yrs old I'd guess. I always wanted to build things to show my Dad and get that nod of "that's my boy" from him.
I also remember going to lumber yards with my Dad and I absolutely loved the smell of those places.
To this day, the smell of wood being machined is one of my favorite smells. Especially walnut. That wood smells delicious to me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I picked up the bug in my junior high school shop class. As I've gotten older, I've found woodworking to be an excellent way to escape the stress of my job. When I'm in the shop, my focus is completely on the task at hand and there's no room to be thinking about bills or deadlines or upcoming meetings. It's cheap therapy that comes with the benefit of creating something new.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I watched my dad make a few crafts and help me cut out a few pine cars for boy scouts, and though he never got into detailed work I was always found the tools interesting. As a teenager I was interested in blowing out my eardrums by building up the best stereo system for my truck that I could afford. This led to designing and building several subwoofer boxes for myself and my friends. As an adult I wanted to save money by building my own stuff but over the last few years I've pushed myself to come up with more challenging and detailed projects that I can be proud of. I may even try to sell a few things at a local flea market this fall. However, woodworking holds the biggest draw for me because my workshop is a place of calm where I can create and work with my hands in peace. I'm a school social worker and hear about problems all day. My two boys are a source of joy for me, but they also have the ability to make me crazy. (Not gonna talk trash on my wife because I'm not an idiot). In my workshop no one tells me about their problems and when things go wrong I whip out the sandpaper.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For me, it's the pursuit of beauty and excellence. I'm a photographer by trade and thus my images are just two dimensional. With a gorgeous piece of wood it becomes three dimensional and something that begs to be touched and used.
Here I've combined the two. A floating walnut shelf with one of my landscape photos

Attachments

·
The "Nerdy Woodworker"
822 Posts
Because it like legos, only with blood if you screw up. Plus, nobody laughs at a 40 year o.d woodworker, 40 year old Lego guy, yeah gonna get some chuckles.

Sent from my Xoom using Woodworking Talk

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
For me, it's the pursuit of beauty and excellence. I'm a photographer by trade and thus my images are just two dimensional. With a gorgeous piece of wood it becomes three dimensional and something that begs to be touched and used.
Here I've combined the two. A floating walnut shelf with one of my landscape photos

Beautiful!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess for some people that didn't grow up with it, it's something new that they're experiencing for the first time without any previous generations to pull inspiration from. I myself am a 5th generation woodworker, and am just now at 26 realizing that my passion for anything to do with wood is SO strong that it's what I want to do with the rest of my life. Some people are born with it in their blood, and others develop the passion completely on their own!

·
Woodenboat Builder
327 Posts
My side job is building boats and the joy of crafting boats led me to crafting other things from wood. My favorite quote is from Saint Francis of Assisi

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”
― St. Francis of Assisi

·
Crazytiki
36 Posts
Like some of you I remember helping my grandpa and my dad on projects. When I do my own I remember the fun times with them. Also nothing beats the feeling of turning pieces of wood into something useful. When you build selves or chair or anything, that finished project just makes you feel like you can do anything. Plus power tool come on what man does not love to play with power tools

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
For me, it's because I really don't mind being a splinter magnet!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts