Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Hobbyist
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone can explain the phenomenon of the many "bare tools" for sale on Craigslist? You see it all the time; lots of Dewalt, Makita and Milwaulkee drills and saws, etc., all as bare tools and no batteries. I also see lots and lots of just batteries for sale. What's this all about? Are folks buying combo kits just for the batteries and selling off the tools? Are they breaking up combo kits up and selling for a profit? Has anyone personally sold bare tools on Craig's what was the reason? I'm also interested in your theories about this practice. Thanks.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I suspect many of them are stolen, I've emailed on a few but won't buy one unless they can provide a receipt showing it was purchased. All the ones I've emailed them on were "Gifts" or "Won" at a raffle.

·
Interested Observer
1,177 Posts
Can anyone can explain the phenomenon of the many "bare tools" for sale on Craigslist? You see it all the time; lots of Dewalt, Makita and Milwaulkee drills and saws, etc., all as bare tools and no batteries. I also see lots and lots of just batteries for sale. What's this all about? Are folks buying combo kits just for the batteries and selling off the tools? Are they breaking up combo kits up and selling for a profit? Has anyone personally sold bare tools on Craig's what was the reason? I'm also interested in your theories about this practice. Thanks.
I expect it is the battery thing. A battery wears out or dies, all that's left is a bare tool. As far as some new tools, some buy a kit with several tools in it and don't need or want them all. They sell off the rest. No real mystery to it.

I have only sold one tool of this type. When I upgraded to 18v I had a 14v drill. Sold it and the batteries.

As far a the whole wonderin' thing goes, I always wonder if some people only have tools of one maker and one battery size or do they have tools by various makers with various size batteries.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
well... they may just want to upgrade to a newer model or something, but the batteries would carry over.

I dont see that many bare tools for sale though.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
That all might make sense...but a couple times now they have brand new bare tools...no boxes, no receipts.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
I had a customer give me a Dewalt 12V cordless drill that is in brand new condition. It was something someone gave him and he didn't use it or maintain the batteries and they won't accept a charge. I thought oh well I will just get some new batteries and I would have a new drill. When I started shopping for batteries I discovered I could buy a new Dewalt 12V drill with lithium batteries cheaper than I could buy replacement batteries. I could maybe make it work if I had time to rebuild the battery packs myself but for now it's just sitting on a shelf.

I see used cordless drills for sale all the time but not without the batteries. I always assume the batteries on those are bad anyway. I wouldn't buy a used cordless tool unless it matched batteries I already have.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Go to CPO's web site and you will see a lot of reconditioned bare tools for sale. I don't understand that.

Don

·
Hobbyist
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for you feed back on this topic. I'm in the Craigs market in Philly where there are lots of posting for both brand new bare tools and batteries. Maybe some more enteprenurial types are splitting up the multi tools and selling for less than say, Dewalt might charge but selling for enough to turn a small profit on each item?

BTW, I rebuilt a couple 18v Dewalt NiCad batteries by buying cells on eBay from a guy who sold them purely for that purpose. I think it cost about 15 bucks per battery plus about 20 minutes of soldering and the results were excellent.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
There are deals to be found if you are in the right place at the right time with prices that make it possible to move the product on Craigslist or Ebay at a profit.
Many insurance companies have outlets that sell recovered items that the policy holder has been paid out on.
Auction sales often have lots of goods that can be picked up at a reasonable price.
Some thrift stores have clients that get first dibs on items of value before they are sent out to the store floor, this is the source for many used clothing boutiques.
There is a service through Facebook called BidWars which is a lower key more localized version of Craigslist where many stay at home moms sell goods for other people on a commission basis.
No doubt there are goods being fenced as well but I don't think it is that prevalent.

·
Hobbyist
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I guess my question is specifically about bare tools or batteries on Craigs, not mail order, not ebay. Just take a look at at any for sale on Craigs, "Tools By Owner", and make sure to look in locations with high population Density, (NYC, Philly, Boston, LA, etc). I'm more inclined to think thrift stores, stolen goods or a small profit scheme.
There are deals to be found if you are in the right place at the right time with prices that make it possible to move the product on Craigslist or Ebay at a profit.
Many insurance companies have outlets that sell recovered items that the policy holder has been paid out on.
Auction sales often have lots of goods that can be picked up at a reasonable price.
Some thrift stores have clients that get first dibs on items of value before they are sent out to the store floor, this is the source for many used clothing boutiques.
There is a service through Facebook called BidWars which is a lower key more localized version of Craigslist where many stay at home moms sell goods for other people on a commission basis.
No doubt there are goods being fenced as well but I don't think it is that prevalent.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Big box stores throw away their demo tools when they stop carrying that model. Maybe somebody went dumpster diving.
They don't always throw them in a dumpster, we had a liquidation store in our neighborhood that would have items a couple months after we purchased them at Costco for 50% off. Unfortunately they moved to a new location much farther away so it is no longer handy to shop with them.

You can buy containers full of defective and end of line merchandise to sort, repair and resell. A friend of mine does this, recently just the Uggs alone more than paid for the entire lot. Quite a bit of it goes to recycling but it is worth while.

·
World's Tallest Midget
813 Posts
Recently Milwaukee was having a deal where if you buy an M18 Fuel drill/impact driver set you get a free M18 Sawzall. I've seen quite a few of these on CL recently. They probably are either recouping some of the crazy money spent on the Fuel set or are upgrading to the Fuel Sawzall.

I was going to do that but the market seems a bit flooded at the moment.

·
Hobbyist
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am seeing some patterns.
Drill/ Impact kit, buyer keeps impact driver, batteries and charger, sells drill. (Lot of folks already have drills but not impact drivers)
Combo kit with sawzall (who needs a cordless sawzall?:smile:)
Full combo kit recondtioned? stolen? Overstock? (Links below show some posts)

Well, I have certainly wasted a lot of everyone's time on this. Time to get back to doing some actual woodworking! Thanks!

Examples:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4955188693.html (sawzall only)
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/4965471871.html (drill only)
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/4976513038.html (drill only)
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4970598253.html (unopened combo kit but you can buy at Home Depot for not much more or online for less)

·
Interested Observer
1,177 Posts
I am seeing some patterns.
Drill/ Impact kit, buyer keeps impact driver, batteries and charger, sells drill. (Lot of folks already have drills but not impact drivers)
Combo kit with sawzall (who needs a cordless sawzall?:smile:)
Full combo kit recondtioned? stolen? Overstock? (Links below show some posts)

Well, I have certainly wasted a lot of everyone's time on this. Time to get back to doing some actual woodworking! Thanks!

Examples:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4955188693.html (sawzall only)
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/4965471871.html (drill only)
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/4976513038.html (drill only)
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/4970598253.html (unopened combo kit but you can buy at Home Depot for not much more or online for less)
My cordless reciprocating saw is great.

Doesn't everyone need more than one drill? One set up with a drill bit, one set up with a larger bit, one set up with a counter-sink and one set up with a bit to drive the screw!

·
World's Tallest Midget
813 Posts
Me too. I'm keeping it and selling my corded Craftsman. Might upgrade to a Fuel saw, though, I hear those are the bomb.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I've been considering an upgrade to the 20v dewalts if and when my 18v drill dies.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts