Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Why when I sand tgis happens. Any advice would be great. I was told it was tiger rosewood.

View attachment 84777

View attachment 84778
That is normal for heavy grain type wood, your just seeing the high spots (lifted grain) getting sanded first which looks dull after sanding, the other parts look bright because sanding didn't touch them. It will disappear when you wipe it down or put poly or some other type finish on it.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I've had that heppen when I've sent wood through the planer against the grain. Another trip through the planer with the grain removed the tearout. Depending on how the board is cut, the grain may run in both directions, making it impossible to plane with the grain for the entire length of the board. The only other alternative in that case is very sharp blades in the planer and very light cuts.

·
Registered
27,001 Posts
I agree it looks like planer tear that is accented by fine sanding. If you would first belt sand the wood or card scraper and then sand with an orbital sander from 80 grit to 180 grit it should clean it up.

·
Registered
27,001 Posts
There may be something wrong with the board or it might have been run against the grain leaving loose splinters on the surface. Then when you sand it the sander removes the loose splinters making the spots bigger. I think more aggressive sanding will clean it up. Eventually you will get below the tear out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you using a sander? Looks like what I'll call heat friction from hard and fast sanding. If caught early, cleans up mostly with a light rub of a Multi-rasp. What ya got here needs a do over.

Have you tried wet sanding? But with frequent cleaning to avoid buildups.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts