Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
when both batteries for the Dewalt drill got wimpy, I bought a new Ryobi.
it works great except it has an electronic brake that stop the spin violently - but the chuck mass keeps spinning, loosens the chuck, the bit/whatever falls out.

rather a big drawback when it puts dents/dings in the to-be-finished wood, or when it drops to the ground from the ladder . . .

·
Premium Member
Ole Nail Whooper - Retired Moderator
5,615 Posts
It seems like once I get burned by one tool I will not buy another from that manufacturer. Ryobi I guess seeks to fill the vast middle niche, the one between single-use and those use every day, drop 20 feet on concrete, pick up and keep using tools I rely on.
I too will not buy a tool brand name anything once I am burned. I bought a Ryobi miter saw for one of my crews doing trim work, it lasted a week. I had a Ryobi weed eater that lasted 20 some odd years. I also had a Milwaukee battery powered drill, won't buy Milwaukee again. I can't say how either of the tools are now days, it was back in the late 80s early 90s when I bought both that didn't work for me. Tools for a DIY, hobby woodworker are different from a professional woodworker, I really don't see comparing the two. Some of the tools I see today I wouldn't pay what they ask for them, it amazes me how some brands can ask such crazy prices for a tool that one 1/2 that price will do just as well, professionally or otherwise.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts