Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
Ryobi isnt bad for the DIYer, but it depends on what you expect from it..

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
I had a Ryobi laminate router I bought at a pawn shop. Came in the box with wrenches. I didn't trust it but needed anot her router at work. I took it and used it to rough out laminate. I left it there..

Ive never worked with Ryobi other than that..

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
I think If i had to start all over as a diy er, I think I'd be hitting Ryobi, HF and Craftsman and build up on diy tools.

Does the tool make the woodworker or does the woodworker make the tool. In my opinion it's both..

Reactions: Indywar2

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
When I started out, even the schools had large Delta machinery, but the portable tools were Stanley, Craftsman, etc. When I entered the commercial business, it was the same. Between 81-83 the commercial shop stepped up and bought Milwaukee belt sanders, for me this was the turning point. I remember some of those old Stanley routers making it into the 90's before disappearing...

I do have B&D router because it has the light which was good for routing to marks on cabinets, but most now just rout till the end of the base hits edge and call it good...

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
I bought mine to make money. Now they just collect dust, rather than make it..

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
As the cabinet maker I worked with one summer used to say "It's a poor workman that blames his tools".
When I worked at Jakobe they brought me a Dewalt 708 I couldn't get to cut square on both sides of the fence. They bought me a new dewalt slider. The motor went out a couple months later. They replaced the motor wit another broken saw and it ran perfect for many years.

Point to the story.... Because it's name brand doesn't mean it's perfect Sometimes you have to tweak them to get perfection.

I would assume that the demanding products from companies like Dewalt, , Milwaukee, Makita, etc will use better bearing, etc than the cheaper competitors. I remember a guy at a pawn shop said he took a DeWalt and a B&D jidpgsaw apart. They looked the same but the Dewalt was much heavier and more metal parts. I reme,be going in Sears amd seeing a Craftsman jigsaw that looked just like a Bosch..

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
Speed controllers were going out on my Dewalt 625 on raised panel bits. Sometimes they will work on their own but most times they have to be replaced. They were pretty cheap, but not anymore..

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
Dropping a tool 20 feet onto concrete is more a problem when you have employees than for the DIYer that is the only one using it. Do you hand these guys a $200 tool or a $50 tool that does the same job?
Better the tool than the employee. Most companies write off expenses...

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
Stanley was in cabinet shops in the 70's when I started..

I hear a lot of "before" with many brands..

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
Yet everywhere you look, there they are...

Dewalt as many are trying to keep prices down. If there prices raise , sales go down..

Tooling demands are a lot different between home and work..

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
Looking at the price of the PC 310, I can see why woodworkers started looking st cheaper laminate routers..

·
Registered
Termite
7,987 Posts
When im in pawn shops I see Ryobi tools everywhere. Considering Im not going to buy new batteries for my Dewalt 12v xrp, maybe I should try a Ryobi from the pawn shop..

I was wanting a Makita setup, but I haven't had to put 2"-3" screws in on installation in years. Maybe I need to come out of my installation bubble and try something a lil more DIY...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts