Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess as narcissistic woodworkers we're a little TOO concerned with showing off our joinery.
Has anyone actually thought about cutting a whole blind dovetail??? I think it would be interesting to try....

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
little TOO concerned with showing off our joinery.
Has anyone actually thought about cutting a whole blind dovetail??? I think it would be interesting to try....
I think something like that would be showing off, until you put it together, then noone can see your work . Looks tricky, but fun.

I borrowed a picture from an ebook "Handwork in Wood, by William Noyes" of a blind dovetail. (which was evidentially a no-no, I had to edit this post) I will start a thread soon about the book once I figure out their linking policy, seems complicated:furious:. They want you to read it for free...just not link it without jumping hoops. :huh:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feel free to derail!!!!:thumbsup: I thought I'd throw a wrench in the werks.:laughing:

The whole point of a whole blind dovetail is to see if we CAN actually bite our collective lip and create a joint so difficult and time consuming and NOT pat our back by showing it off. Hmmmmm....can it be done????

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
CAN actually bite our collective lip and create a joint so difficult and time consuming and NOT pat our back by showing it off. Hmmmmm....can it be done????
Probably not :no: if I could hand cut dovetails like some of you , I could not help but pat myself on the back just a little :laughing:.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably not :no: if I could hand cut dovetails like some of you , I could not help but pat myself on the back just a little :laughing:.
I can't hand cut open a bag of chips nevermind a dovetail!!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm having trouble

getting my mind wrapped around the concept of a dovetail, wholely blind. Would it then have no entry or exit? Would then it's only purpose for existance be negated BY it's existance? I'm now so confused I don't know whether to [email protected] or go blind.

Ed

·
Registered
419 Posts
So that's what

they are called. I saw this joint demonstrated by none other than Roy (if you can believe it) Underhill. I saw enough hand work involved to convince me that a spline don't look bad at all.

Ed

·
Registered
354 Posts
I saw whole blind dovetails in a magazine once, and can think of no earthly reason why anyone would do it.

But hey, I've done it several times. I can post a pic. They're REALLY in there.....I swear they are!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Speaking of strange joinery choices....our GOOD friend the Wood Whisperer has a drawer joint done with stainless steel pins....with much respect to him...they kinda look like framing nails to me.

Sorry....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts