Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering who else out there is working into their basements and if so what are you doing to control the dust? I am tucked away in the corner of my basement which has the furnace and water heater. My space is very limited. I have a small ceiling filter and also run a box fan with furnace filter. I wear a dust mask while working and also sweep and vacuum up as much as I can before I finish for the day/night.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I work in the basement. I close the door to the shop area if I am making dust. I also have chip collection on the planer, jointer, and the sanders. I clean up the other as needed. I also have a Delta air cleaner.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I work in the basement. I close the door to the shop area if I am making dust. I also have chip collection on the planer, jointer, and the sanders. I clean up the other as needed. I also have a Delta air cleaner.

I also hook my sanders and planner up to a cyclone collector that I have in the shop. It certainly helps keep the big chips off the floor.

·
Advanced mistake maker
1,231 Posts
I work in my basement too. I have a dividing wall that is sealed off (Great Stuff really is GREAT!), and I use my ShopVac and filter mask all the time. No filter, yet anyway. I'll add that after my deployment.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Here too....dust collector and home built air scrubber. It does fairly well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I also use a box fan with a furnace filter on it in my basement. I have started to use a thicker, more expensive filter. I clean it by taking it outside and knocking most of the dust out then using compressed air to blow the rest out. Other than that I hook up my shop vac to the tools that accept it. Same as you I sweep daily. Once every week or two I do a more thorough dusting and cleanup. I don't have a dedicated dust collection or filtration system yet. I don't do any finishing in the basement. I use a spare room in the house that is dust free and has good ventilation.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Basement rat here :yes:

I have a central DC, a shop vac, a Festool CT-26 and (2) 20" box fans with 5" HEPA filters and 1" cheapo filters that I set wherever they will do the most good. I have five different Festool sanders and, while they pick up all noticeable dust, I still wear a 3M 7500 respirator w/ the P-100 particulate filters. So I, personally, am protected there.

But dust still makes it through the house. I have 24" trusses and the only unfinished ceilings in the basement is in my shop, the furnace room and the slop sink room, so dust makes its way throughout the basement truss space. There are no return air intakes in the basement but there are 5 supplys. The finest dust is like pollen, it stays suspended a long time. :blink:

I've put sealing up the shop to stop the dust from getting all over the house on my bucket list, but not until after I join the Procrastinator's Club. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
My shop is in our basement. I have a 20" box fan with two filters on it, plus material cut out of an old tshirt to catch the biggest stuff to help extend the life of the filters. I also have a small shopvac I use. I always wear a respirator while and after sanding. I will also often wear it other times. I'm at a point right now where my next large shop purchase is almost certainly going to be a dust collector, which I'd build a small closet for to help with the noise.

·
where's my table saw?
29,585 Posts
back when I had a basement shop

I put an exhaust fan in one window and opened the other across the room when I made a lot of dust sawing or sanding. This is to prevent sucking the furnace gases back down the stack. IF the cold air return....the suction line, is in the area, tape all the seams with AC tape, the good, sticky aluminum kind. This will prevent drawing in the ambient dust into the furnace system and clogging up those filters.

Box fans and filters will help a lot. Leave them run on a timer after you leave the area...about 15 minutes will work. Point of source collection is best if you can do that. A bandsaw is a stealth dust generator and the shop vac needs to go right under the table close to the lower guides.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Make sure your Shop Vac has a HEPA filter, too. I've got a chip seperator in-line and then a drywall bag in mine. Due to the seperator I've only filled that drywall bag about half full after a year.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Adding a real Dust Collector has been a HUGE improvement for my basement shop. I'm 6'3" and there's only one part of the basement where I can stand upright, so most of my machines are on wheels and I roll 'em over when I need 'em.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I use box fans

I have 2 box fans with filters attached to the back of each pointed toward the opposite corners of my basement shop. This creates a cyclone effect of rotating the air around the room and through the filters. My miter saw is a big dust maker, which is hard to contain. I have made an enclosure for it and one of the fans is right above it. Within minutes of using it, the air is clear again. I do use vacuum cleaners on my table saw and other machines....and I wear dust masks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just moved most of the machines back into the basement and it's tight. I picked up a torit dust collector that I will tuck into a corner to help control the dust. Before that, I lived in dust :(

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I work out of the unfinished half of my basement. I have a dust collector that I use for the bandsaw, planer, and jointer. For sanders, the table saw, and router I use my shop vac. The shop vac is set up w/ the Rockler vortex, a HEPA filter and a drywall bag. I also have a ceiling mounted air cleaner. I also try to do a fairly thorough sweeping every time I leave the shop. I also wear a respirator almost any time I'm running a power tool.

Even with all of this I still end up with a thin layer of fine dust covering almost everything. I'd like to do a few other upgrades to try to capture more dust - the bags on the dust collector are 5 micron - I'd like to upgrade them to 1 or 2 micron. I also need to come up with some better dust collection on the router table and table saw - even hooked up to the shop vac they still spew chips and dust everywhere.

I've been trying lately to do as much as possible with hand tools to try to reduce the amount of dust. I don't like the dust getting all over the furnace, water softener, etc - and we have a heat pump style hot water heater and I'm sure its not good for that to be sucking up the dust either. Eventually though I'd like to move the shop out of the basement and into a dedicated building so I don't make all of the extra mess inside of the house.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My plumber warned me that my sawdust (which I wasn't being too careful to sweep up) was getting sucked into my boiler every time it ignited. I got one of these: http://www.rockler.com/new-dust-rightreg-wall-mount-dust-collector

Pretty happy with it.
http://www.rockler.com/new-dust-rightreg-wall-mount-dust-collector
I have thought about getting one of those before but could not figure out where I would put it. Do you have it mounted to the wall or on a mobile cart of some sort?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
No offense.....but that looks like a terrible deal. You can get a full size HF unit for 100 bucks less than that one.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have thought about getting one of those before but could not figure out where I would put it. Do you have it mounted to the wall or on a mobile cart of some sort?
Mine is mounted on the wall. It never got assembled the way it was designed. :)

Harbor Freight 2HP dust collector. Catch it on sale and use the 25% discount coupon in Wood mag. About $149.00

30 gallon drum with a Thein chip separator inside.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts