Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 in quarter sawn job thats white oak. Thefinish is going tobe waterbased natural. Im having an issue with the zar wood filler im using, taking thecolor of the waterbase. The zar is standing out, has anybody had this issue or have anyideas of a brand of fill that would remedy the situation?

·
Registered
26,854 Posts
I have a 5 in quarter sawn job thats white oak. Thefinish is going tobe waterbased natural. Im having an issue with the zar wood filler im using, taking thecolor of the waterbase. The zar is standing out, has anybody had this issue or have anyideas of a brand of fill that would remedy the situation?
I've never used the zar filler as I avoid water based fillers. If you could get Famowood solvent based filler in ash color I think it would work for you.

Another option if it is too light you could mix your own color by adding a universal tinting color to the putty before it is applied. If you could post a picture of the stain color I could give you a clue which color pigment to add to the putty.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
MinWax makes a "Stainable wood filler" in a yellow plastic tube. About $10. It works reasonably well filling small cracks and gaps. But nothing is going to be invisible when filling a knot hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts