Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,
I just got a new dining room table and I would really like to avoid those pesky white heat marks. My previous table had some, and I've already noticed a very small one on the new table! :furious: It is very upsetting, as this is one of the most expensive pieces of furniture in my house. So what can I do to the table to prevent this from happening?

I'm sure you're all curious about the table itself. It's solid teak with matching chairs pictured below.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Table cloth. It's more than likey a lacquer. Watch heat or hot things, use trivets. Watch spills of all kinds wipe dry quickly. It's a shame that such a weak finish gets put on such an expensive table. This past year I stripped two and re top coated with a much more durable finish. Other than that it has to be treated with care.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I was always under the impression that the white marks or rings were from a wax finish or a finish that contains wax. Maybe not. Beautiful table though! It would be a shame to have to cover it with a cloth. If your gonna do that, whats the point of having a nice table huh?

·
Registered
404 Posts
White marks or blushing. Wax could be a possibility but chances are slim that anyone would put that on a table top.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
But wood polishes and furniture polishes contain wax, right? Im not argueing with you. Im curious. Ive had the white rings appear before and they are impossible to get rid of.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
My brother-in-law had the same problem and just gave up. He had a leather fold up pad custom built for the table and on those special occasions he would fold it up and put it in the closet. It didn't look too bad and they had a table cloth on it most of the time anyway.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Teak finished with a film finish is prone to developing white marks if hot or cold items are placed on its surface. This likelihood is particularly prevalent on if the table was finished with an oil based varnish.

As with any furniture, the best way to deal with it is you use placemats, coasters and hot pads. No unprotected finish will stand up to heat. Get yourself a set of table pads to use for the best protection.

·
Registered
26,854 Posts
For day to day use you might consider having some table pads made for it. I'm not certain what the core of the pads is made out of but they are about 3/8" thick covered with synthetic leather on both sides. You could drop a hammer on the table and it wouldn't make a mark. When you use the table uncovered you might just get some trivots for the hot items and coasters for the drink glasses.

If it were me I would just use and enjoy the table. If the finish gets damaged, refinish the top but I'm a furniture refinisher so it wouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the replies. I have no idea what finish was put on the table. The lady did say it should be oiled yearly. I mentioned Danish oil and she said 'sure'. I'm sure she didn't have any idea either. We bought placemats. I will definitely look into the table pads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts