Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an unfinished desk that I would like to finish for my daughter. The furniture in her room is white. I thought about paint, but I don't want the thickness of the layers to cause problems with sticking drawers, etc.

Would white stain work? What kind? How many coats?

I've painted furniture in the past, but I'd really like a quality result this time.

Your advice is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Welcome to the site Doug.
I am not a pro at finishing yet so I can't recommend any good ideas.
You might check websites like Minwax or Valspar. I know Valspar has a mix your own stain program but I haven't checked into it yet.
Sorry I couldn't be more help, maybe one of the experts on the subject will give you some better advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I'd prefer an opaque finish. Don't want to see wood grain through the stain. Would paint be better? Is it possible to thin down the paint and use 2 or 3 coats to cover?

Thanks for the Minwax and Valspar recommendations. I'll check them out. I also plan to stop by Lowes on my way home today to see what they have.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
135 Posts
I like to use tinted lacquer. If you dont have a sprayer then you can get what they call pickled stain, which is white. This will leave the grain showing. Or if you want the wood to show, nothing beets a few coats of poly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A white desk is such a popular item and having one inside your office will have many benefits. A desk is obviously a necessity in an office setting but did you know that the color of desk that you decide on can have different results? In this article we will discuss the benefits of having white desks inside your office.

If you're buying a white table for your computer, make sure it has at least one drawer and a couple of shelves. You should also look for white desks that have file cabinets where you can put your homework and school papers. Consider adding a book shelf by the desk so your printer will have a stand. If it's possible, get a desk with a hutch.

One of the most important things to be considered prior to purchase is the cost. A White chair in some departmental store may cost from a few 100$ to several thousand. Find out how choose white desk more cheaper and best quality

·
Registered
27,305 Posts
From your description I think you would be most happy with a pigmented lacquer paint. Lacquer will make a hard finish and will be thin. It is something that needs to be sprayed though. Over the long haul it's not one of the most durible finishes but it is a very common finish for furniture. You would need to first prime the wood with a lacquer primer. In my area Sherwin Williams sells Bushwacker lacquer primer which works very well. It's been some time since I've used Sherwin Williams lacquer paint but I didn't care for their white if that is the color you are looking for. There white looked more gray than white to me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Doug,

If you going to use a stain, the grain will show, thats the purpose of the stain, using a white stain wont hi light the wood grain that much. This is a picture of white stain that i made for a curtain box for my daughter

And if you want to use paint its good as well, and you can avoid sticky drawers by fitting those rubber stickers which will separate the panels from the frame, sorry i don't know what are they called, here is a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
I like to use tinted lacquer. If you dont have a sprayer then you can get what they call pickled stain, which is white. This will leave the grain showing. Or if you want the wood to show, nothing beets a few coats of poly.
I agree with this. I recently made a desk and hutch for a granddaughter. I used white lacquer finish and white lacquer primer.

I have an identical desk for younger granddaughter mostly cut out. (no point in setting up saw twice so I did both at the same time) I will also use the lacquer on this one.

George

1 - 9 of 9 Posts