Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
We have birdhouses, yard decorations of all different sorts and just about anything else you can think of from the members here. Are you looking for advice, feedback, or something different?

As for a group of cliques, it is only what you make it. I have "cliques" I argue with and those I agree with, sometimes they overlap. I have folks whose work I think is awe-inspiring and some I think are flat out crap. I try to comment (politely) and critique (politely) when asked. I'm not alone in this behavior.

lightningmike, if you stick around you'll find an eclectic group with drastically varied interests and the personalities to match.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Never made one, but it is on my list of things that I want to do. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have built and rebuilt some. The first one I built from scratch and the second one I repaired. What are you looking for in terms of info?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't know about building them, but it can't be too awfully hard. If you are looking for plans...
try here, for starters: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021248/25822/Whirligig-Plans-Value-Pack.aspx

!WARNING! !WARNING! !WARNING! !WARNING! !WARNING!

DON'T USE THE LINK I LISTED ABOVE!!!!

It leads to a site that wants to download some software so you can "un-zip" the plans they are going to send...

My security software took one sniff of the software and said a very firm !NO!!!!.

So don't touch it.

Sorry I didn't look at the site first.. My BAD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I was asking is anyone interested in whirleygigs. I have plans and ideas that I would share. I have made many with different subjects , and sell them. Other things I make are rc model racing yachts, rc model gliders( wingspans of over 100 ") wind turbines, traditional archery, wood flyrods and spinning rods with reels, yes wood reels. These are just a few of my of the things I am into with wood. I also work with metal . I don't think I am going to get into any more of these threads. I am going to stand around in the backround and watch.

Mike

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hello Mike,
Sorry you feel that way but I think you should fault your approach not the forum. I am very interested in whirligigs and have recently bought a few pattern books and am looking forward to playing with a few of the designs. Just a question of time. I think you would have gotten a completely different set of responses by putting a picture or two of some of your items and then a little about yourself......as you did in your last post. And making your intentions known, not expecting everyone to decipher your post.

I'm still interested in seeing some of your whirligigs and patterns too. Dave

·
Woodworking Wanderer
216 Posts
Greetings-

I love whirligigs! You work in a lot of unique woodworking areas...I'm interested in more details about several.

I was surprised to see the odd passive/aggressive initial response to your post, it seemed out of context...this is the first woodworking forum I've been on that did *not* seem "cliquish" and abrasive. Let me know if you want to start a whirligig clique, I'm in...as long as everybody respects all the rest!

Hell, I can't even JOIN sawmillcreek unless I use a fake name...there's already one person/member on earth with the same name as mine (you have to use your "real name" to join) who hasn't been active since 2007. I asked for help and they suggested changing my name (adding numbers to my name...which is neither something I'll remember nor my name)! Seemed stupid and poorly planned at best, hypocritical at least. My memory is bad, a side effect of pain meds I'm dependent on, so I can't play there...the ultimate shut-out.

The rest of the responses seem more par for the course for this forum, in my (short) experience here.

How about starting a thread that shows an example photo or two in the area to show projects? Everybody loves pictures!

·
Registered
142 Posts
To PriusJames... Had you thought of calling yourself "The Other (whateveryournameis)?

To LighteningMike: You make money from them... you make MONEY$$$$$$ from them??? (pant pant pant pant....) YES!!! I'M VERY INTERESTED!!! My wife and I are retired, and while we have enough to keep the wolves away from the door, with the price of stuff these days I'm looking for some way to cover my "hobby" expenses, and whirleygigs, upon reflection, seem to be just the ticket...

I'd like to pick your brains on this, if you are willing...

OldEd

·
Woodworking Wanderer
216 Posts
Got my interest. I love em. I would like to see some offbeat ones, most of the ones at the websites are all the same o same o.

+1

I've looked for (and bought) patterns and have lots of cedar planks that seem perfect for whirligigs...I need to make some to learn the mechanics...for now, gears are keeping me well occupied.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys I am sorry I flew of the handle , I just so happens that I have been on other forums and got some pretty hard times. How do I put photos on here?

Mike

·
Registered
142 Posts
...mike, I don't know. I'm new here myself. HOWEVER! I forgive you for "flying off the handle". I do it myself all the time. In fact, I sometimes i fly so far I can't FIND where I left my handle.

My wife says I shouldn't fly off the handle so much - I'll die of a heart attack. Since I've had two already and ain't dead yet, I get the feeling that flying off the handle tends to lead to a longer life, not a shorter one. Of course, it goes without saying that you have to have the proper handle and know how to fly off it correctly. Screw up either step and you're a gonner for sure.

That said... Would you really share some of your vast (from my point of view) experience building whirlygigs with me? This winter is getting me down (I live in the Bronx, and we catch the weather from both sides) and I need to BUILD something to get my (so-called) mind off it.

Welcome back, by the way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not sure if this is what you're looking for. I made this 2 years ago for my sister for Christmas. No plans, I just down and winged it. It's not fancy but it's still 'gigging' in her back yard! BTW, that's my oldest grandson in the picture.

The whirly gig is pretty simple, just a football player kicking the ball over and over again for as long as the wing blows!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts