Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday my installer says he needs a fine saw for cutting some baseboard moulding. I discover he's talking about a Fein MultiMaster. I call a local Tool store and they tell me about the Fein MultiMaster XL and RS models. I send my wife down to pick one up for about $350. That evening and BEFORE opening the box I do a quick internet search and discover that the model they sold me, the MS XE 636-2 is not Feins latest model. Feins new model is the FMM 250 which offers 250 Watts instead of 180 Watts. The new model is variable speed from 11K-21K oscillations instead of only 2 fixed speed options of 12k-21k. New model is more Ergonomic too. So, what would you do?. I'm thinking of taking this back unopened and getting the new 250 model.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Assuming that the new one will cost the same. Take it back absolutely. Might as well maiximize your dollar your spending enough of them. Personally I'd be looking at tools that are good and not quite so pricy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You bet I returned that baby. He did'nt look to happy. Probably because he saw his easy $70 markup fly out the window. The $349.99 price tag? Online the same item was about $279. with free shipping! They want to move old stock out when new IMPROVED stuff is coming in, then the consumer is left asking himself why he did'nt research abit more and not know their was a brand new model hitting the market. It wouldn't bother me so much except you can count on a retailer typically NOT to tell you a new improved multimaster IS available online for $20 bucks more than this going out model. BUYER BEWARE is oh so true!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
Smart move! I would reture it too.

In between woodworking projects I some times grab my box of woodworking catalogs for power tools that I just gutta have.
But before I buy I hit the internet to locate the manufacture
and if the price is right I locate their dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts