Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am looking at a project to help a local retailer build some display furniture. One of the requests included a set of nesting tables.

What type of wood would you recommend using on a project of this capacity?

Like everyone, we're on a budget but want to maintain quality. I was thinking poplar on the legs and moldings and then for the table top - use sheet birch or oak sheet? 1/2" - 3/4". The legs would need to be laminated and planed down right? Not sure where to find solid posts like that.

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
Hello! I am looking at a project to help a local retailer build some display furniture. One of the requests included a set of nesting tables.

What type of wood would you recommend using on a project of this capacity?

Like everyone, we're on a budget but want to maintain quality. I was thinking poplar on the legs and moldings and then for the table top - use sheet birch or oak sheet? 1/2" - 3/4". The legs would need to be laminated and planed down right? Not sure where to find solid posts like that.

Poplar should work alright if you can pick out the lumber. Poplar has such a wide range of colors from white to green to black so unless you are staining a walnut color it's difficult to cover. Alder isn't very much more expensive and would be easier for you to finish. It would work well with birch but I don't think I would use oak with it. I would only use oak if you made the legs and skirt out of oak too.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I'm not a fan of unpainted popular either....at least not of the popular we get around here...it's got a lot of snot green streaks running through it. YMMV.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've got a woodsmith magazine that suggests that if you're going to stain poplar, use gel stain, and that a reddish color can somewhat resemble cherry. Also, I'd avoid mixing poplar and oak. Way too different grain patterns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts