Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, I'm working with an old, cheap, lousy table saw without so much as a rip fence. I've strongly been debating buying a Ridgid R4512 or 4510, but I'm worried about space, as well as overall price. I saw a small Dewalt portable (bench top?) table saw at Home Depot for $299. After reading online, it has really great reviews, especially about the fence and a decent saw for $300 sounds pretty appealing.

Lately, through watching videos, reading articles, and learning from everyone here, I'm also really seeing the need for a jointer and planer.

My question is:
You guys are the experts, I'm just kind of here. Do I spend the ~$500 on the Ridgid, spend ~$300 on the Dewalt (upgrade it later) and buy a jointer as well, or buy the Dewalt and a planer?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely have room for a portable planer. My only special concern with the table saw is not being able to stow the 4512. Now, I do have access to a planer at the base (I'm in the Air Force), but there are so many stupid rules there that I'd rather spend the money on my own.

Example of stupid rules: Not allowed to face joint on the jointer because it's "dangerous" and "that's not how you use that machine."

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I sent an email about two of them, but the posts may or may be too old. I hope not. That Craftsman sounds promising!

The second two are really far away from me, so they're probably out, but the last one, the Dewalt, is almost identical to the Dewalt I mentioned in my original post.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good suggestions above. or try to find a HD that will honor the harbor freight "20% off any single item" coupon, which would get those ridgid's down to $400 NIB and eligible for ridgid's LSA (lifetime service agreement: free repairs, parts and labor, for life).
That was my original plan, however, I called every HD within about a 90 minute drive, and they all said that HF isn't considered a competitor and they only honor Lowe's and Sears coupons.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had mixed experience with the HF coupons too... one HD turned me down, another said that it would be fine and when I got back to the counter with the saw a manager intervened. I was able to convince them to give me 10% though.
I spoke with the manager at one store who said that he's never heard of any Home Depot taking a HF coupon and that he "[didn't] necessarily believe" me. He offered to take off 10% instead of the full 25%, but I get a 10% military discount anyway. I'd rather use it at a store where I wouldn't be called a liar.

I called their corporate customer service to complain about being called a liar as well as to ask about the coupon, and all they did was connect me to the same store manager for "clarification" and to explain what happened, even he knows exactly what happened.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.