Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, I'm working with an old, cheap, lousy table saw without so much as a rip fence. I've strongly been debating buying a Ridgid R4512 or 4510, but I'm worried about space, as well as overall price. I saw a small Dewalt portable (bench top?) table saw at Home Depot for $299. After reading online, it has really great reviews, especially about the fence and a decent saw for $300 sounds pretty appealing.

Lately, through watching videos, reading articles, and learning from everyone here, I'm also really seeing the need for a jointer and planer.

My question is:
You guys are the experts, I'm just kind of here. Do I spend the ~$500 on the Ridgid, spend ~$300 on the Dewalt (upgrade it later) and buy a jointer as well, or buy the Dewalt and a planer?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
I use my money to get a good saw and a good jointer. A planer is only necessary if you are going to purchase rough cut lumber. Many of us generally only buy finished lumber so a planner is in reality an extra.

However, if you are in a situation where you buy rough lumber then the planner may be more important than the jointer.

George

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Is a used table saw out of the question? 500 could buy you a top rate used table saw and a planer

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is a used table saw out of the question? 500 could buy you a top rate used table saw and a planer
I've been searching for a used table saw in the area for months and can't seem to find one that's worth the price. Used planets are an even rarer commodity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I definitely have room for a portable planer. My only special concern with the table saw is not being able to stow the 4512. Now, I do have access to a planer at the base (I'm in the Air Force), but there are so many stupid rules there that I'd rather spend the money on my own.

Example of stupid rules: Not allowed to face joint on the jointer because it's "dangerous" and "that's not how you use that machine."

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
It's pretty tough to upgrade a portable saw. A full size belt drive saw has the lion's share of advantages and much better upgrade potential. If price is the driving factor, buy a good used full size saw, but sometimes a full size saw just isn't feasible.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...ns-making-sense-all-choices-part-1-3-a-43321/

The TS is the heart and soul of my shop.....I'd add a planer and/or jointer as funds allow, but would not buy a TS that's not quite up to the task.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I sent an email about two of them, but the posts may or may be too old. I hope not. That Craftsman sounds promising!

The second two are really far away from me, so they're probably out, but the last one, the Dewalt, is almost identical to the Dewalt I mentioned in my original post.

·
where's my table saw?
28,737 Posts
Buy the Rigid 4512

Get a good saw with a good fence and you will never regret it.

Jointers and planers are more for rough sawn lumber than working with plywood and lumber that's surfaced 4 sides like you can get at the box store for right now.

When you need the joiner for face flattening, then you will also need a "thickness" planer for the rough sawn. They kinda work together.

You can edge join a board on the table saw accurately enough with a straight line jig:
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/straight-line-rip-jig-40532/

Get the best saw you can for now! :yes:

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
There looks to be an older Delta/Rockwell contractor saw in this pic, possibly with a Powermatic Accufence included. Hard to tell from the pic with stuff laying on top of the saw, but it might be worth a look. It's a little pricey IMO, but they might be willing to negotiate a better price, and if it includes both fences, you can always sell the stock fence for $50-$75 to offset costs.
http://shreveport.craigslist.org/tls/4090869168.html

This one should clean up well, but will benefit from a fence upgrade, which could push the price out of range....worth some consideration and maybe a look if it's not too far away.
http://shreveport.craigslist.org/tls/4135743570.html

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
good suggestions above. or try to find a HD that will honor the harbor freight "20% off any single item" coupon, which would get those ridgid's down to $400 NIB and eligible for ridgid's LSA (lifetime service agreement: free repairs, parts and labor, for life).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good suggestions above. or try to find a HD that will honor the harbor freight "20% off any single item" coupon, which would get those ridgid's down to $400 NIB and eligible for ridgid's LSA (lifetime service agreement: free repairs, parts and labor, for life).
That was my original plan, however, I called every HD within about a 90 minute drive, and they all said that HF isn't considered a competitor and they only honor Lowe's and Sears coupons.

·
Registered
530 Posts
That was my original plan, however, I called every HD within about a 90 minute drive, and they all said that HF isn't considered a competitor and they only honor Lowe's and Sears coupons.
Never call; always try it in person. Particularly during lightly attended times. You could go to the same store and get different answers depending on who you get and what mood their in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had mixed experience with the HF coupons too... one HD turned me down, another said that it would be fine and when I got back to the counter with the saw a manager intervened. I was able to convince them to give me 10% though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had mixed experience with the HF coupons too... one HD turned me down, another said that it would be fine and when I got back to the counter with the saw a manager intervened. I was able to convince them to give me 10% though.
I spoke with the manager at one store who said that he's never heard of any Home Depot taking a HF coupon and that he "[didn't] necessarily believe" me. He offered to take off 10% instead of the full 25%, but I get a 10% military discount anyway. I'd rather use it at a store where I wouldn't be called a liar.

I called their corporate customer service to complain about being called a liar as well as to ask about the coupon, and all they did was connect me to the same store manager for "clarification" and to explain what happened, even he knows exactly what happened.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts