Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just joined. I'm a new woodworker, and am about to undertake my first project; build new kitchen caibnets. I want to know which to build first; carcasses or face frames & draws.
Another question. Which is best, using adjustable footings, or carcass gable ends supporting the cabinet? I'll be using 3/4" plywood birch veneer for the boxes, and cherry hardwood for the face frames & doors. I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
For a new woodworker I would suggest building the face frames first. These parts are the ones that will butt to each other and they need to be spot on for size. The box then can be slightly smaller, about an 1/8", allowing for the face frames to fit tight. I just let the carcass end support my cabinets. I always build drawers last.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I build the 'kick-frames' as a separate unit (usually the length of the run), - - with adjustable screw-ins, - - that way I can get them perfectly level first, - - then just run the carcasses on top with no fussing, - - then when it's all complete run your 'kick-face' across.

As far as the pecking order, - - I don't see it as a big deal either way, - - the best thing to do is figure it all out on paper first, - - and then start making parts off your detailed list . . .

Oh, - - and I agree with Dave, - - drawers last . . .

·
Registered
714 Posts
One point to be made about making the carcases last is, you don't take up all your shop space with a bunch of big boxes early in the game.

·
Registered
182 Posts
optional

Either way will work fine,and is just as easy.I usually do carcass first and have some one assemble them ,while i cut and build the frames,saves time and MONEY.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts