Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at local classifieds for months and have yet to find a decent used table saw. I've decided I'm just going to buy a new one. I've been looking at the Rigid R4512, Grizzly G7015P, and the new Delta saw at Lowe's model 36-725. I do not have a 220v outlet in my garage. I am a beginning woodworker - I have built a few projects including a king sized bed (I used a friend's cabinet saw for that one). I want a saw that will get me by for a few years until I have a better shop situation. Which saw would you choose and why? I am mostly interested in building furniture for my home.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
After using your buddy's cabinet saw, some of these might seem a little light. The new Delta is brand new and is an unknown to most of us.....could be great, could have warts. If their return policy is good and you can swing a deal, we'd all appreciate the feedback! ;)

The R4512 and 21833 have had some chronic alignment problems....if you can get a good one (not all are effected), it could be a good purchase. The G0715P has a similar design and had similar issues, but they've allegedly solved the issue...has a better fence, solid cast wings, and a full enclosure.

If you post your location, someone here might know of a good deal on a used saw for you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After using your buddy's cabinet saw, some of these might seem a little light. The new Delta is brand new and is an unknown to most of us.....could be great, could have warts. If their return policy is good and you can swing a deal, we'd all appreciate the feedback! ;)

The R4512 and 21833 have had some chronic alignment problems....if you can get a good one (not all are effected), it could be a good purchase. The G0715P has a similar design and had similar issues, but they've allegedly solved the issue...has a better fence, solid cast wings, and a full enclosure.

If you post your location, someone here might know of a good deal on a used saw for you.
I am in Provo, Utah. Utah is kinda weird - we don't use craigslist here. We use a local news station's classifieds section. Here's a link to table saws currently for sale: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=231&nocache=1&search=table+saw&zip=&distance=&min_price=&max_price=&type=&x=30&y=8

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
the first two pages of the linked classifieds have two pretty good deals. the craftsman 10" TS for $150 is a good little saw and is worth $100-125. slap an aftermarket fence on it (delta t2 or vego 40) and that puppy will handle almost anything in a hobbyists shop. page two has a 5 hp single phase powermatic 66 for $450!!!! much as i firmly believe new jet and powermatic offerings are overpriced and poor values, a 5 hp single phase left tilt cabinet saw for $450 would tempt me to dispose of my two 10" emerson electric built c-man and ridgid TSs for it. assuming proper operating condition and completeness (operting t-square fence), that p-matic is a good deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the ad is gone now because I bought it! It's a delta 36-477 delta platinum edition with 30" biesemeyer fence. It looked brand new in the pictures and it was $350. How did I do?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Well the ad is gone now because I bought it! It's a delta 36-477 delta platinum edition with 30" biesemeyer fence. It looked brand new in the pictures and it was $350. How did I do?
Any full size contractor saw in nice condition with a belt drive induction motor and a Biese fence for $350 is a solid deal. The Delta Platinum edition makes it especially nice. Get it aligned, and treat yourself (and your saw) to a decent blade to get the most out of it....congrats and take some pics already! :laughing:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
New table saw? What new table saw? I don't see any pics of any new table saw!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have it quite yet. It wouldn't fit in my SUV. The guy I am buying it from is being really nice and delivering it to my house on Saturday. I swear woodworkers are the nicest people on the planet.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I don't have it quite yet. It wouldn't fit in my SUV. The guy I am buying it from is being really nice and delivering it to my house on Saturday. I swear woodworkers are the nicest people on the planet.
Good thing! The thought of a woodworking serial killer is sort of disturbing, if not dismembering! :blink: :laughing:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only problem is I am missing the front leveling screw on the foot, but it isn't made anymore. I am having trouble finding one online. Any ideas where to look?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
That's one fine looking setup! What a sweet deal. Get it aligned, and put a good blade on it...you're set! Congrats! :thumbsup:

You shouldn't have any trouble matching the thread for that missing foot. Even a bolt will do in a pinch. You've Googled "threaded leveling feet"?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
PharmD said:
The only problem is I am missing the front leveling screw on the foot, but it isn't made anymore. I am having trouble finding one online. Any ideas where to look?
Is it just a threaded leg?

Just run to the hardware store. They'll carry them in the bulk hardware.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Setup looks pretty swanky - nice score. On the bolt, just do like Ryan mentioned. Bring the other leg bolt with and worst case use a carriage bolt and a nut to lock it.

If it's more than that, take the other one apart and post some pics and maybe we can help. In the meantime I see a small wood stack underneath it in your future...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Nice looking saw. Clean and apparently not abused. Check out web info on right tilts. When beveling, they can behave a little differently than left tilts when the fence is to the right of the blade.

And, FTR, that's a unifence, not a bies. I always liked the variability of the unifence, but delta dropped them a while back in favor of the bies, which is all the rage now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts