Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has asked me to make a few cubbies / shelves, and one of the examples that she gave me was this:

I like the curved edge on the top piece and would like to do my best to match it. Can I do this with a router? If so, which bit should I use? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks to me like a simple roundover....probably 1/2" to 5/8"r.

I thought it might be, but it looked to me to be a little flatter than a roundover. It could just seem like that due to the angle of the picture. Would a pocket-hole joint be a good method in the construction here or would there be a better method? It seems to me that would be one of the easiest methods, but I know there are many people that think metal should be left out of woodwork.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with a roundover bit but I'm thinking 7/8" or 1" to match the profile in the pic. If you look on the far left you can see the profile better.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I thought it might be, but it looked to me to be a little flatter than a roundover. It could just seem like that due to the angle of the picture. Would a pocket-hole joint be a good method in the construction here or would there be a better method? It seems to me that would be one of the easiest methods, but I know there are many people that think metal should be left out of woodwork.
A table edge (aka "thumbnail") router bit will give a "flatter" roundover...
http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/thumbnail-49563.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A table edge (aka "thumbnail") router bit will give a "flatter" roundover...
http://www.amanatool.com/bits-fv/thumbnail-49563.html
I looked at this one and saw that it was closer than a roundover, but how do I avoid the flat edge? I want the edge to be curved all the way through the thickness of the wood, not stop at the last 1/8th of an inch. If it seems like I'm new to this, it's because I am. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I looked at this one and saw that it was closer than a roundover, but how do I avoid the flat edge? I want the edge to be curved all the way through the thickness of the wood, not stop at the last 1/8th of an inch. If it seems like I'm new to this, it's because I am. Thank you!
Changing the depth of cut controls the "flat edge"....you can achieve none, all, or part of it.

·
Registered
914 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts