Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm going to use shellac as a sealer, do I brush it on after I dye? And is it normally just one coat. The a varnish goes on top of that?

Thanks,

Keon

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Yep, dyes penetrate into the wood, so putting them on top of the shellac (it is done at times) doesn't get you the same coloring. Then putting the varnish on is the normal order. Now, if the dyes are alcohol based, putting shellac on them is a really bad idea (it redissolves the dyes and makes a mess. Also, a lot of folks go straight over the dyes with the varnish. I prefer to use the shellac easy enough to do and still gives a good look. But I suspect it's use in sealing the dye is more useful when the topcoat is a waterborne. Putting that on a water based dye is akin to putting shellac on an alcohol based dye.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im using General Finishes water based dye, shellac, then water based enduro var urethane finish, in that order. Will that turn out ok?

·
Registered
154 Posts
order of finish

yes it will work but you might want to use DEWAXED SHELLAC when putting water base finish on top or you may have issues .

Rick

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it will work but you might want to use DEWAXED SHELLAC when putting water base finish on top or you may have issues .

Rick
I just bought Zinsser Bulls Eye shellac, it doesn't say if it is dewaxed though :confused1:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Zinsser Seal Coat is their only dewaxed product. That said, the adhesion problems usually occur with urethane resins in the products, and some waterbornes. Waterbornes are actually acrylic resin finishes, despite what the name/label says. Some of the manufacturers add a small amount of urethane resin so they can include that magic word on the label. Even so, the can be adhesion problems with waterbornes but it's probably worth taking the chance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
water top coat

Fred what do you mean by acrylic resins in the water base , interesting can you explain to me , please
thanks
Rick

·
Registered
154 Posts
water base

O I get you they add a bit of urethane resin oil base to the water based but still call it water base for its only a small portion
AM I right ?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Not exactly, they just add a small amount of the urethane resin, no oil based materials. All waterbornes, regardless of whether they are titled "lacquer" or "polyurethane" or "Grandma's magic finish" :)laughing:) are basically the same, an acrylic coalescing finish. Somehow, we woodworker's seem to have collectively accepted anything labeled "polyurethane" as the finish to end all finishes. To capitalize on that, manufacturers started the practice of added a small amount of urethane resin to the mix and labeling it to maximize sales and misuse. Since I'm not in the marketing discussions these guys have, it's all just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
>>>> I just bought Zinsser Bulls Eye shellac, it doesn't say if it is dewaxed though

It's not. The only Zinsser shellac that's dewaxed is Zinsser Sealcoat. Trade in what you bought for the correct stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts