Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
get the one with two holes

I have the single and double hole drilling guides and use them both.

If you use a stiffener behind you face frame rails as I do then the Kreg jig is great for face frames Also for fastening face frame to the boxes.

I find them very useful for joining interior wood hand railing parts together.

I used to be a skeptic until I started using it.

Bret

·
Registered
53 Posts
My opinion..... I have both, the single self clamping version and the $40 version. I would recommend the $40 version for now, only because it will give you a good idea of how useful the jig is. Even now I still use the small one often to get into spaces that you cannot get into with the full clamping version. If you like the jig, you can always dedicate the clamping one to shop use.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have the 139.00 set and like it alot. I use mine for quick joinery that doesnt have to last a lifetime. Allthough it probably would. I made my daughter a pretty nice lego table last year and used the kreg jig for almost all the joinery. I had the table assembed in less than an hour, ready to sand and paint.

I like mine a lot but wouldnt build a kitchen table with it. Take care in selecting the correct screws for the wood you are joining. Too fine a thread on softwoods and you will get a lowsey joint.

David

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
rrbrown said:
I'm thinking of finally getting a pocket hole Kreg jig but they have three sets to choose from. Since I know nothing about them and actually never seen one in use, I'm not sure which one to get. Any suggestions here are the three options.

Kreg Pocket Hole Joinery Combination Kit $139.00

Kreg Pocket Hole Jig System $99.98

Kreg Pocket-Hole Jig $39.98

I'm not sure if I'm even going to like it so I'm leaning more to the one for $39.98. However I'm worried that if I get that one it could make me not like the jig because it may be hard to use. Now I'm looking to the one for $99.98 thinking it's easier. I'm thinking the most expensive one is more then I need, but again I know nothing about them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Can't teach some new tricks
I recommend CMT brand of the Oregon more for professional work

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
MastersHand said:
Can't teach some new tricks
I recommend CMT brand of the Oregon more for professional work
Great for quick Joinery .remember the glue makes the joint not the kreg method of joining with screws. That's why screws are called fasteners. They hold the joint until the glue dries. Glue a stile Ans rail with kreg jig back out screws and then try to pop joint

·
Registered
298 Posts
I used the rocket for a few years. I have the k3 master in my shop now and use the junior at work. all are good. I use them for face frames and attaching tops. I would not rely on this joint alone to build a chair or anything else that might be called on to support a large person. That being said, I often use this joint in conjunction with other joint construction.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ordered the K4 from Rockler last week. Right now it comes with 675pc screw set which is normally $30! It is supposed to be arriving today. I'm pretty excited!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the smaller kit, have been using it off and on for about a year. It is a great product, and though I do not always want to use it because there might be other options I might use, I do often find a use for the Kreg. Eventualy I plan on getting the larger unit, it just has a better clamping system.
Have fun with it.... :yes:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have the K4... Like it...

I was surprised at how FAST it was to use and get things made!
Really AMAZING... no extra clamping and waiting for glue to dry before continuing! Mine came with a DVD, which helped me a lot... and a nice assortment of screws & plugs...

I get more screws from McFeeley... Good Company! Good selection!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts