Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of finally getting a pocket hole Kreg jig but they have three sets to choose from. Since I know nothing about them and actually never seen one in use, I'm not sure which one to get. Any suggestions here are the three options.

Kreg Pocket Hole Joinery Combination Kit $139.00

Kreg Pocket Hole Jig System $99.98

Kreg Pocket-Hole Jig $39.98

I'm not sure if I'm even going to like it so I'm leaning more to the one for $39.98. However I'm worried that if I get that one it could make me not like the jig because it may be hard to use. Now I'm looking to the one for $99.98 thinking it's easier. I'm thinking the most expensive one is more then I need, but again I know nothing about them.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the kreg jr it is the 39.95 model and one face clamp. It has worked fine for all my needs. I just didn't see the point of paying 60.00 more for a jig that does the same thing. The only real difference is their clamp that comes with the higher priced units. But I figured that, heck I have clamps...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Well, I paid about $20 and got a single hole jig, drill and a few robertson square hole screws from a UK tool supplier. Adequate for the jobs I want it for.
http://www.kregtool.com/Kreg-Jigreg-Mini-Prodview.html
johnep
Great advice you can always expand if you like the concept here is a USA supplier http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5985&filter=kreg tools for around $20.00. I have use this single jig for many projects, just make sure you buy the right screw for the right job.

·
SS user
2,690 Posts
Mine is the $139 set. Got it at a show for much less and the threw in the clamp that fits in the pocket hole.
If you get the $99 set, mounted to a piece of ply, it makes a great jig for doing several holes for a cabinet side or larger piece of casework.
The single jig is great, the double one is better but, the full set is the bee's knees for speed, accuracy and ease of use.

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
I bought the single hole deal and mounted it on a board. I do like it and have used it over and over. You will find more uses for it than you thought you would. Here is how I made mine.
Sorry about the quality of the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I've got the old Kreg Rocket that's pretty comparable to the $40 unit, and have the Pro K3. The K3 definitely offers some extra goodies, but the vast majority of the time even the basic $20 jig would suffice...just use one of those Quick Grip type clamps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the 40.00 unit and it works great for what I use it for, but plan on getting the 99 dollar deal in time. It looks like setup would be much easyer and faster.

·
johnep
1,982 Posts
Like all things, you get what you pay for. If I was using pocket holes in a production capacity would get the best I could afford. For the home DIYer then the $20 is adequate.
johnep

·
Banned
6,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got one...somewhere. I think I used it once or twice...can't remember. If I can find it, I'll send it to you for free.
I couldn't pass that up let me know if you find it. I'm just surprised that you of all people actually have one.

I never would have thunk it. :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I got the big set. It came with a great DVD to show you when and where you can use it but not where you can't. A little common sense is all you need. Its really simple and makes good strong joints and no wait time for glue to dry
And these joints are easy to " unmake" without screwing up your parts. The only downside are the ugly holes but they make plugs for that but I haven't found a tool like a plug cutter to make your own from the species your working with. If you can cut a dowel it would work I geuss. I just don't use them where they will be seen myself. Love the tool though, its great for speed. Oh you have to have a good positive clamp on the work piece when you screw them together or they will move.

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
To make your own plugs just put a dowel in the hole of the pocket hole jig and cut the dowel down the face of the jig. Remove the dowel and cut the dowel to the correct length and there you have a plug that will fit in the pocket hole, I have done this before and it works beautifully.

Be careful as the face of the pocket hole jig will mar easily. What I did was mark the dowel and made a jig that I could put the dowel in to cut on my miter saw, it is much faster and more accurate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought the "Rocket" guide only at a show several years ago, and picked up the $20 unit for the drill/collar/driver. The R3/Kreg Jr. is similar to the Rocket, but with more bells and whistles.

I like the R3/Rocket guide much better than the single hole style--seems more stout, and is easier to square with the stock than the single. Definitely pick up a quick clamp (vice grip style), as it's needed to keep the guide from wandering while drilling.

It's a great, quick joinery system, and if you are putting together cabinet carcasses, it will save you from needing a substantial amount of clamps while the glue dries, and they're easier to hide in several applications than standard screws.

I say get the R3/Kreg Jr. I've never needed anything more, and I've used mine extensively.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds bad mate....not to sure, maybe try soaking it again with water...and slightly trying brake it of with wet cloth or even dry cloth.

·
OLD DUDE AT WORK
1,460 Posts
I have the Kreg Jr, nice tool. I see the inventor used to be a machinist, too. I used to design jigs and fixtures for edge drilling with hardened drill guides.

Seems more and more metal fixture ideas are finally being applied to woodworking.

Yep, another why didn't I make it first?:laughing:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought the single hole deal and mounted it on a board. I do like it and have used it over and over. You will find more uses for it than you thought you would. Here is how I made mine.
Sorry about the quality of the picture.
Speaking of "why didn't I think of that". Why didn't I think of that?

I have the same $20 single one like yours and have been trying to figure out a way to do something similar, but never thought of surrounding the kreg like that. :laughing:

I do like it, and would buy it again considering I didn't know if I'd use it much. Plan on buying the master system sometime. Although I could just buy another $20 one and a toggle clamp and put them side by side. Use some scraps and put something together lke that. Essentially that's your $100 kreg system.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I also have the Kreg Jr. Easy setup, easy to use. With some trial and error, you can setup different depths for your screws, etc. Not completely foolproof, but I would say a beginner could use it. I bought it off of Ebay and paid shipping, then only a week later, Lowes started to stock them. :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts