Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reviews for most jointers I've seen on Amazon are horrible. A common complaint is the tables not being flat.

I'd like to get at least 8", but in any case: where do I find a good jointer?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I logged on to post the same question so I will piggy back on this thread. There is a used Jet JJP-10BTOS jointer/planer combo for sale near me and I would like to hear peoples thoughts. It has a 10" capacity so it meets the OP's needs, just wondering if it is junk.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
jointer/planers

I logged on to post the same question so I will piggy back on this thread. There is a used Jet JJP-10BTOS jointer/planer combo for sale near me and I would like to hear peoples thoughts. It has a 10" capacity so it meets the OP's needs, just wondering if it is junk.
The main advantage is that it's a space saver for a small shop.

The negative issues are ease of changer over from one tool to the other operation. How the dust collection changes over as well.
Another is strictly with the jointer having tables that are too short to edge join long boards accurately. "Long bed" jointers are preferred for that reason. I have a combination jointer/planer made by Min Max and it is one of the best out there, BUT I only use the jointer function since I have another good planer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The main advantage is that it's a space saver for a small shop.

The negative issues are ease of changer over from one tool to the other operation. How the dust collection changes over as well.
Another is strictly with the jointer having tables that are too short to edge join long boards accurately. "Long bed" jointers are preferred for that reason. I have a combination jointer/planer made by Min Max and it is one of the best out there, BUT I only use the jointer function since I have another good planer.
The short bed is my main conern because it would be used primarily for jointing. I am watching Craiglist like a hawk these days hoping something decent pops up nearby.

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
Reactions: Ostie

·
Registered
28,404 Posts
The reviews for most jointers I've seen on Amazon are horrible. A common complaint is the tables not being flat.

If you live along the east coast or west coast I would look for a used industrial jointer, preferably antique. Those old machines are built to last forever and run pretty cheap in those areas. I just bought a Northfield 12" jointer last week made in the 1960's. I'm in Texas and it was the first one I found within a drivable distance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
really 9"?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-x-72-Jointer-3-HP-w-Mobile-Base-Polar-Bear-Series/G0656P
Mine is only 2 HP, but that's plenty for me. The smoothness and finish of the cut is unbelieveable. I'd get another in a heartbeat. :yes:
Hey woodnthings, I've just successfully doubled my money on an old synthesizer & I'm jointer shopping what's up with the polar bear series of Grizzly? Am I really getting that much more bang for my buck by getting white paint? It looks like this one has a 9" bed.. is that true? Was just looking at these on line & thought I'd see what the community here has to say about jointers.

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
I can't speak to the Polar Bear series

But that new 8" - 3Hp model with the long beds seems like it would be a great jointer for a reasonable price. Mine is an older 2 HP that was a close out, but it stll has plenty of power and works great.
maybe look for reviews on line for the Polar Bear series.... :blink:

Reactions: xmas

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

I've had several jointers, and would suggest that if you are to have one jointer, go for an 8" if the decision is between that and a 6". I would prefer a long bed, with an adjustable outfeed table. Of course sooner or later you think about a 12", and after that you think about a 16", and life goes on.:smile:

·
Registered
162 Posts
In my experience, I would recommend the biggest, heaviest jointer that space and finances allow. Don't rule out older cast iron machines. Yes, they are heavy. Yes, they may need a little TLC. But, heavy is good(better cuts), and all woodworking tools need to be cleaned and maintained. My shop has a good mix of new and old tools, but other that my Delta clone bandsaw, I lean most heavily on my older machines. They tend to be more consistent(my opinion, not gospel), and I think they're more attractive to me. Plus, I'm very, very poor, so being able to our base a 12" jointer new was out of the question. Lots of times the older stuff can be found for literal pennies on the dollar.

As far as the newer jointers go, my only hands-on is a jet, and I liked it quite a lot. I thought that it was an ugly machine(opinion), but it cut really nicely, and the dust collection was pretty good. Grizzly is a brand with which I have zero experience. Watch your local classifieds and CL, and don't be afraid of a little rust. Just watch out for deep pitting on the infeed and out feed tables.

Cam

·
Registered
136 Posts
Info, but somewhat inconsistent.

From what i can find, it looks like the polar bear series is usually a little bit cheaper & the only spec difference is on the paint & according to their comparison chart about 200RPM less at the cutter head speed. :) there's a good video here for anyone else looking into grizzly 8" jointers that runs through all the comparison of options. http://youtu.be/4qQF1Yf6cVM.

Some inconsistencies in the grizzly site, list pricing & comparison pricing aren't the same & polar bear series has a picture of mobile base but it isn't listed as having one in comparison chart. A bit more research to do, but it's looking like I'll get something Grizzly unless craigslist local comes w/ a great deal on an 8" in good shape, though that doesn't seem to happen often. The 656 does have a 9" bed, but an 8" cutter head.. not sure if you could or would want to flip & make two passes.. or if that extra inch is for fence adjustment (angles & such).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.