Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at 2 different jointers and have a tight budget. The first one is a Grizzly Model GO452 $355
Description
The latest addition to our family of jointers has some of the most remarkable features found anywhere. Starting from the ground up: built-in "kick-stand" mobile base (just push the lever down, push the machine where you want it and kick the lever back up!), built-in dust chute with 4" dust collection hood, quick adjusting lever on the infeed table, fine control handwheel on the outfeed table, positive stop at 1/8" on the infeed table, large 5" x 35" cast iron fence, rack and pinion fence adjustment, and an easy access switch with a removable safety key.

Specifications:
  • Motor: 1 HP, 110V, single-phase
  • Maximum stock width: 6"
  • Maximum depth of cut: 1/8"
  • Maximum rabbeting capacity: 1/2"
  • Cutterhead diameter: 2 1/2"
  • Number of knives: 3
  • Cutterhead speed: 4800 RPM
  • Table size: 6" x 46"
  • Table height from floor: 32 1/2"
  • Cuts per minute: 14, 400
  • Fence size: 5"H x 35"L
  • Fence adjustment: positive stops @ +/- 45 deg. & 90 deg.
  • Overall dimensions: 46"L x 27 1/2"W x 37 1/4"H
  • Approximate shipping weight: 270 lbs.
  • Free pair of safety blocks
The second one is Delta Model JT360 $375
Top quality features. Affordable price.
  • Cast iron wedge bed design for solid support with fully adjustable infeed and outfeed tables that operate on gibbed dovetail ways to compensate for wear.
  • Safety cutterhead guard for operator protection, pivots out of the way of work during operation.
  • Heavy-gage steel stand with wide footprint design for sturdy support features built-in dust chute to direct dust and chips away from operator; facilitates dust collection hook-up.
  • Heavy duty 3/4 Hp, 115/230v, single phase induction type motor.
  • Removable on-off switch to prevent unauthorized use of machine.
  • Lever-actuated infeed table. with lock handle, for quick, easy height adjustment
They have similarities and differences. Which do you think is the better machine? Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
803 Posts
8" is better than 6". Used is a better deal than new. Craigslist is your friend.:thumbsup:

Having said that, what do you need your jointer to do???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Corndog,

I checked my local craigslist in Cleveland,OH and found only a 3 phase jointer. I plan on using the jointer for my woodworking hobby. Small chairs, shelves etc. Thanks for the reply

Joe

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts
I have used a 6" grizzly. Worked fine right out the box. This was a good machine and is still running at my boss's shop:thumbsup:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Whatever you do...AVOID THE DELTA BENCH TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try a jointer plane. You just might like it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Whatever you do...AVOID THE DELTA BENCH TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try a jointer plane. You just might like it.:thumbsup:
I actually own one of those Delta bench-top units.

Sure, it is no big-time game player, but for smaller (read: shorter) items it works just fine. I did have to parallel the tables (by removing them and filing the mounts slightly) and I added some inch-thick oak extensions at either end (added very carefully) to increase the table length from 30 to 52 inches. I also installed a dust port to make it usable with my dust-collecting system, and spent quite a bit of time getting the blades adjusted just so. This unit sits on a lightweight wheeled stand that I made, which allows me to easily roll it out of my small shop onto the adjacent, outdoor work deck.

I certainly would recommend a bigger (much bigger, actually) unit for serious larger-scale work, but the little Delta is a workable tool for lighter, shorter loads, and as I now have my configured it works decently for bigger stuff, too. Even a big-time jointer user might like the unit as a backup portable for on-site work.

One of these days I will probably get a larger jointer, but I will still keep the little Delta for specialty tasks.

Howard Ferstler

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got the Delta JT360. Works fine for me. No experience with the Grizzley.

That said, you may want to look at something most don't consider and that is initial assembly.

The Delta comes unassembled. I bought an already assembled floor model because I got a great deal on it. But after I got home and got a look at the manual, I realized how much I lucked out and avoided one major PITA. I'm a pretty good wrench, but reading those instructions told me there's nothing quick and easy about putting the thing together. It's more than just putting the legs on and done...There's a lot to assemble, and you'll need to find someone to help for a few of the procedures.... way too heavy for one person to do. (plus, you'll get to spend some time cleaning all the cosmolene off the thing... lotsa fun)

Here's the manual so you can see what you'll be up against. http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/documents/English/Instruction%20Manual/Delta/a23771,JT360.pdf

Alternatively, I believe the Grizz will show up in a crate pretty much ready to go, but you may want to confirm that.

Since the two are nearly identical in features and price (and likely performance as well), assembly hassle would be a factor I'd truly consider.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I actually own one of those Delta bench-top units.

Sure, it is no big-time game player, but for smaller (read: shorter) items it works just fine. I did have to parallel the tables (by removing them and filing the mounts slightly) and I added some inch-thick oak extensions at either end (added very carefully) to increase the table length from 30 to 52 inches. I also installed a dust port to make it usable with my dust-collecting system, and spent quite a bit of time getting the blades adjusted just so. This unit sits on a lightweight wheeled stand that I made, which allows me to easily roll it out of my small shop onto the adjacent, outdoor work deck.

I certainly would recommend a bigger (much bigger, actually) unit for serious larger-scale work, but the little Delta is a workable tool for lighter, shorter loads, and as I now have my configured it works decently for bigger stuff, too. Even a big-time jointer user might like the unit as a backup portable for on-site work.

One of these days I will probably get a larger jointer, but I will still keep the little Delta for specialty tasks.

Howard Ferstler
I guess they're hit and miss....mine was WAY too miss.:glare:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I guess they're hit and miss....mine was WAY too miss.:glare:
Yeah, duds sometimes abound in any product line.

Note that mine was the JT160 (purchased at Lowe's for $200), which appears to have been a replacement for an earlier version that looked similar. Which model did you own?

I did read one negative review of the JT160 somewhere and in that case the variable-speed control failed. (Some of the other reviews I read were actually positive.) It may have involved the variac overheating, or whatever. To help stop that from happening I installed a smal, switch-controlledl fan underneath the unit (an old AC fan designed for audio gear, actually) that blows air onto the controller for cooling during long-use sessions.

Howard Ferstler

·
Registered
803 Posts
Mine wasn't around long enough for me to remember a mod. #. I gave it away,coincidentally, to a guy who no longer speaks to me.:no:
Out feed table was twisted, all the adjustment knobs broke,blah blah blah...:censored: :thumbdown:

·
Registered
49 Posts
For me the Jointer is the heart of my woodworking...that and the table saw...but the Jointer is more critical...do NOT go cheap in this area or you will be buying again very soon...I have the 6 inch Delta like Norm uses...it was 13-1400 or so several years back...there was an 8 inch and I believe Norm has that one...the big brother to mine...but there are no flies on mine...love it to death...does fine work...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have read all the messages on jointers with great interest. I am looking to buy a jointer for my son who would like to to do fine cabinetry work. My woodworking skills go up to using a good table saw and I have built a couple of houses but cabinetry is not my forte.

Can anyone recommend a good choice of jointer for my son who is quite a skilled guy. I don't want to get him a tool that is going to hold him back.

Thanks for help,

Tappen guy

·
Registered
789 Posts
We should say buy American, but I bought the Grizzly 6 inch, and it is fine. Using a good blade in the table saw reduces the need of the jointer, but there are times. Top of the line Delta would be my first pick, but not their cheap line.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have an old Busy Bee 6"... import I know but a good tool none the less. I've heard the old grey Ridgid is good. Check CL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts