Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

The Lowe's near me dropped the price of the C10FCE2 (non laser) to $114 from $139.

the Laser model is $169.

I think the C12FDH might be better, and it's $269.

is it justifiable to spend more than 2x the amount of the first one, for a dual bevel and 2 inches bigger?

what do you guys think, and are you happy with your Hitachi saws?

---
Back story, I've only owned Craftsman from my family, and I am pretty brand loyal to Porter-Cable. I'm looking to do small/medium woodworking projects and household repairs like trimming molding.

thanks for the help!

Rob.

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Since you did not state that either was a sliding saw I will assume that neither is. The smaller saw may be OK for the money.

I definitely would not spend $269 for the other saw. You can get a very nice 10" sliding single bevel Craftsman for around $190 to $210 if you watch sales. I have never found a need for a 12" saw. My saw has seen lots of use over the past 5 years.

George

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have the Hitachi 10 inch with laser and it is a very good saw for me. I am just a hobbist so I do not use the saw alot. I would recommend the one without the laser because the laser is not very bright so I don't think it worth the extra money. Especially if you plan on using the saw outside or in you shop with the door open. Be sure to get a good blade and you will be set.

·
I hate tools
578 Posts
I have the C10FCE2, and it's a good basic saw. It's been $99 several times before on Amazon, so if you're not in a rush you can wait and see if it hits that price again. I have a Diablo 80T blade on mine.

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
I agree with George, I wouldn't pay the extra for a 12" saw. I have never found a need for the bigger saw. I have several 10" saws, two are sliders, one isn't. Forget the lasers, they're a homeowner gimmick. Learn to read the teeth on the blade as far as where the cut is. Buy a good blade for it and save it for the finer projects involving trim. Put the cheaper blades on for whacking 2 x 4's.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I have the 10" with the laser. It's good for getting you close but that's about it. Otherwise it's a good saw. The 12" has several advantages though, namely being dual bevel. Hitachi makes a nice saw though, so I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. I don't use mine very much anymore since I got a good miter gauge for my TS, but I keep it for portable needs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts