Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKay so I have a max of 3000$ to spend (that is with all the accessories also Blade, dado inserts, and overhead dust collector) . I have 220V 1Ph in the shop and I know I want a 3 HP.

I cant make a decision such a big purchase and Chances are is that this saw will be with me for a long while.

So Should I get

Saw Stop
JET
Powermatic PM2000
Grizzly ultimate White addition

If i go a little cheaper on this saw that means i can spend more on other tools. Just keep that in mind.

Also any suggestions on how long of a fence.

Thanks for the Help..

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would definitely go with the Grizzly, they have amazing products and there customer service is second to NONE. Seriously no-one honors their products like Grizzly. And since they are more budget friendly you can get more accessories and maybe another helpful tool for the shop.:thumbsup:

As far as the fence that depends strictly on your work load, If you do alot of work with sheet goods the Mo is Betta as they say. If not the longer table may just turn into a space hog.

Good luck, I know these decisions are tough.

Andrew

·
7,222 Posts
Interesting that the new Delta Unisaw is not on the list. Any specific reason?

I had to decide a couple of years ago. Looked at the Sawstop, Powermatic, Grizzly and Delta. I chose the Delta. The 36in fence fits in my space constraint.

I did not have the room to the side for a 52in fence. This is only needed for sheet goods, and if I have the need I cut with a circular saw and trim on the table saw.

Although Delta provided legs for the end of the right side table extension, I have not used the legs. I like having the underside of the right wing available to a tool cart on casters.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David the Delta didn't make the budget cut. Everywhere i have looked it was 3000+.. Tell you the truth is i have been leaning toward the Grizzly for a while. A pro cabinet maker friend told me the ultimate Grizzly is the same as a Powermatic.

·
Banned
6,839 Posts
David the Delta didn't make the budget cut. Everywhere i have looked it was 3000+.. Tell you the truth is i have been leaning toward the Grizzly for a while. A pro cabinet maker friend told me the ultimate Grizzly is the same as a Powermatic.
I've owned the Grizzly, the sister Shop Fox and the SawStop. While the Grizzly and ShopFox are nice saws they are still a budget saw and would not compare o the Powermatic in quality. The SawStop in my opinion is the best saw. It is comparable in quality to both Powermatic and Unisaw with additional safety feature.

I was in your same position and went with the Shop Fox because of the savings. I had my first Table Saw accident in over 20 years and lost a finger which would have been prevented with the SawStop. I now have the SawStop for that reason and wish I would not have choose to save that money. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
when wood magazine last tested cabinet saws, sawstop and delta tied for top honors (top tool). the grizzly entrant, either a 1023 or 691, took top value honors. as usual, the overpriced and under performing entrants from powermatic and jet were sniffed out and eliminated from either category by the comparative test. eliminating them from your selection options would be a wise move.

btw, have you looked at steel city tool works? they are in the middle of a sale that goes to 12/31/12:

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pdf/USA2012fall_lowres.pdf

a 3hp, ci or granite (your choice) top with a 50" t-square fence, is currently $1400, and they offer a 5 year guaranty. pretty much the same saw as the griz 1023, but with a longer guaranty. i don't own their tools, but they would be on my short list were i looking to replace a recently sold unisaw. i can saw that, whenever i've contacted them, they were extremely helpful and i've not seen many knocks on their CS.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Richard (rrbrown) offered some good insights on the hierarchy of the saws you listed. I'm aware of the benefits of the Saw Stop technology, and the quality of the PM and SS saws, but have found the Grizzly cabinet saws to be extremely capable at a compelling price....especially at the hobby level. If you're willing to be your own middle man, the savings are legit. The money saved could indeed be spent on other tools and accessories for the new saw.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
If it were me and price wasn't the factor it would be a sawstop. If you want to factor in cost I'd look at steel city, I've got the granite topped craftsman version and couldn't be happier......well unless a saw stop showed up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts