Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this as been asked a million times but her I go. So today I picked up a old craftsman wood lathe with 2 sets of tools. Question what's a good way to learn how to do this. Any good sites out there or better yet videos I can watch thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hello
Hands on guidance is always good .
There may be a woodturning club in your area, so check that out for starters , and keep coming back to here .
There are many excellent books available , although sometime the content is perplexing until we have a basic grounding in a few things .

Post a photo or three of your lathe and tools , we like that around here .

Oh , and welcome to the madness :yes:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome, from Oregon. One thing you must have is a faceshield. Another thing that I bought that I would not do without now is a welders shirt; this keeps all of the sawdust and chips out of your shirt pockets and down your shirt. You can get one at Woodcraft or find one cheaper at any welding shop or online....ken

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
And the vortex is about to claim another.

I suggest this for a comprehensive review of almost all "holding" methods.

You do not say what you want to start with. This is a very good listing of videos which have been vetted for safety.
There are a lot more on youtube but some are worse than bad. For a specific type item, or procedure there is probably a video for it.
Just ask and I am sure someone here can point you to a good one.

http://woodturningvideos.weebly.com/

Have Fun :yes:

·
7,222 Posts
I'm sure this as been asked a million times but her I go. So today I picked up a old craftsman wood lathe with 2 sets of tools. Question what's a good way to learn how to do this. Any good sites out there or better yet videos I can watch thanks for the help.
You are correct, a question asked many times before.

This is a good site to find out answers to many of your questions.

Browse or perhaps faster to search for specific keywords like "getting started".

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/getting-started-51563/

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/turning-newbie-42959/

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking to start with a few simple bottle stops then pens, bowls and anything simple to may sell for a few bucks to help pay for this new hobby. I usually make Furniture but this wood turning looks like I can get creative more with my hands and Technique.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Welcome to the fun!
+1 on finding a club--don't be embarrassed or hesitant about going---we all started somewhere--the only one hurt by not going is you.
Do look at the info presented above. You tube has a plethora of video info--but not all that is seen there is safe.
And since you've been on this site a while----pics!!! or it dint happen.

·
maker of crooked things
38 Posts
I have a old craftsman i got for 60 bucks, i make pens, stops, handles, all kinds of stuff. Up where i live in MN we have a few good woodworking stores try a rockler or woodcraft store. Most of the people there while yes they do try to sell you stuff, still have great info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts