Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This seems like as good of a thread as any to keep track of this. All bills paid, and my ducting and elbows have been ordered. It's below freezing right now, so I went ahead and accepted the free shipping from Home Depot. Everything should be here Monday afternoon.

I spent a good amount of time in the shop with the measuring tape yesterday, and finalized the shopping list as it were.

It's all good to go as it were, but for now, not a snowballs chance in a Houston summer am I going out to Home Depot in Texas in sub freezing weather. Nobody knows how to drive on icy roads...

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Home Depot shipped via FedEx instead of store courier delivery. The elbows arrived today. The rest maybe tomorrow or????

Anyway, I am ripping out the 4" that has to go, and replacing it with the 5" that I at least have now... Yes the ducting IS sloping to the right, I needed to clear underneath the cedar cross that is just barely in the way to the right of the band saw.

To get the crimped ends to fit over hte plastic fittings, I used my belt sander to round over the edge of a hunk of 2x6 to make a radius anvil. I clamp that in my vise, and just hammer the crimps as smooth as I can get them, and then it slides on snug. A wrap or two of foil tape will seal it up. IF I can make it fit, I want to attach the 5x4x4 fitting to that branch right behind the band saw. I want a dual 4" right there to collect from top and bottom.

Aside from removal though, at this point, I have nothing more I can install so will likely continue with the removal tonight.

Again the point behind this whole excersize. Make the lines as short, straight, and smooth as possible, while making the mains 5" and branches 4".

Gas Machine Engineering Room Toolroom

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Home Depot shipped via FedEx instead of store courier delivery. The elbows arrived today. The rest maybe tomorrow or????

Anyway, I am ripping out the 4" that has to go, and replacing it with the 5" that I at least have now... Yes the ducting IS sloping to the right, I needed to clear underneath the cedar cross that is just barely in the way to the right of the band saw.

To get the crimped ends to fit over hte plastic fittings, I used my belt sander to round over the edge of a hunk of 2x6 to make a radius anvil. I clamp that in my vise, and just hammer the crimps as smooth as I can get them, and then it slides on snug. A wrap or two of foil tape will seal it up. IF I can make it fit, I want to attach the 5x4x4 fitting to that branch right behind the band saw. I want a dual 4" right there to collect from top and bottom.

Aside from removal though, at this point, I have nothing more I can install so will likely continue with the removal tonight.

Again the point behind this whole excersize. Make the lines as short, straight, and smooth as possible, while making the mains 5" and branches 4".

View attachment 435662
Remind me where you got the elbows?

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Remind me where you got the elbows?
Home Depot. I am using all adjustable HVAC elbows. They apparently thought it would be a good idea to ship the elbows, tape, and pipe as 3 separate shipments.

I am actually kind of stunned they didn't deliver this from local stock. It would have been a LOT cheaper for them...

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
More progress on the 5" upgrade / install.

Made the connection to the first and second branch wyes. The second goes to the band saw and you can't see it, but has a 5x4x4 fitting with blast gates for upper and lower collection. And the 5" going overhead and along the wall. I untape and unstrap the run to the DC itself to drop the height of hte first branch wye. Adjustment needed still...
Gas Machine Automotive design Room Engineering

Then we are on to the 2nd, just behind where the flip top tool carts reside. This will be where the pickup for the bench top tools will be. I still need to fit the blast gate.
Wood Gas Engineering Electrical wiring Electricity

And lastly, at least for today behind the lathe. The lower port / blast gate here is for the lathe dust hood, the other is for a hose to go to the drill press.Oddly enough, yes I CAN have both blast gates open at the same time Or open and closed, well you get it. Yes the blast gates clear each other... I do however, need to figure out a better place for my drywall tee...

Engineering Gas Machine tool Machine Cylinder

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@BigCountry79 I know you were working one of these upgrades, but had been handed some setbacks by life. Are you on the back burner with this for now or how is the project going?

Hopefully my concept is as clear as possible here. 5" main, and then branch off to 4" as close to the machines as possible.

I don't have enough blast gates, and my hood never worked worth a snot, so I am seriously considering leaving off the miter saw bench. at some point in the not too dtistant future I am going to have to rip the bench out, rework the port, I have a 5" takeoff waiting to go, and just upsize to 5" and even then, likely use the shop vac to pull as much as I can from the OE port...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
@BigCountry79 I know you were working one of these upgrades, but had been handed some setbacks by life. Are you on the back burner with this for now or how is the project going?

Hopefully my concept is as clear as possible here. 5" main, and then branch off to 4" as close to the machines as possible.

I don't have enough blast gates, and my hood never worked worth a snot, so I am seriously considering leaving off the miter saw bench. at some point in the not too dtistant future I am going to have to rip the bench out, rework the port, I have a 5" takeoff waiting to go, and just upsize to 5" and even then, likely use the shop vac to pull as much as I can from the OE port...
Life is back to normal-ish.

I am still in the middle of a bench build. I am trying to finish that up vefore starting a new project. I basically have 3 more mortises to cut and I need to build a chop.

After that my wife requested I finish the mud room countertop.

After that I got volunteered to make cub scout trophies.

So I'm probably still a month out of the shop re-org. Part of the reason I started planning and thinking about it was I was stuck in a hospital so much with nothing to do, and it was a decent time to research and plan it out some. I normally try not to plan too many projects at once...

Thanks for asking!

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Life is back to normal-ish.

I am still in the middle of a bench build. I am trying to finish that up vefore starting a new project. I basically have 3 more mortises to cut and I need to build a chop.

After that my wife requested I finish the mud room countertop.

After that I got volunteered to make cub scout trophies.

So I'm probably still a month out of the shop re-org. Part of the reason I started planning and thinking about it was I was stuck in a hospital so much with nothing to do, and it was a decent time to research and plan it out some. I normally try not to plan too many projects at once...

Thanks for asking!
What is this finish one project before starting a new one you speak of? I thought the whole goal was to have as many projects going at one time that you can't possibly finish any of them in a timely fashion.

In all seriousness, my shop / compressed air / dust collection / organization upgrades going on are effectively to support the ongoing home remodelling projects. At this time I am working on the master suite dressing room and it is a f#$%ing disaster. Not a single stick of framing is quite square or plumb. It's close, but off enough to make miters a real pain in the tail...

Aside from one Milton coupler the compressed air upgrades are done. So now I have the flow I need for the texture hopper gun. I probably could have run it simply by moving the compressor to the master suite while I blow texture on the walls but oh well...

The flip top tool stands will allow me to actually access the bench top tools without lifting. I have back issues, and need to be careful about lifting / twisting, and honestly the easier I make a job, the more I have left in me to get more done for the job... Pretty straight forward.

I probably COULD have put off the 5" duct upgrade, but with the impeller upgrade, I would REALLY tell the difference in air movement between the 5" at the end of the old Thien Separator, and at the end of a 10' run of 4" DWV, I wanted to minimize the restriction as much as feaseable.

Well, I will be sharing my progress, and design throughts. And whether or not I feel it was worth it. I don't have enough blast gates to get it done, but I also have 2 blast gates servicing one machine right now (band saw). I do have a single 5" blast gate on order. Of course fitting it is going to be, interesting...

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Note to all. Particularly @BigCountry79

A problem I found that I worked around my way, but it involved a fair amount of metal work...

The 5" branch wyes, and the 5"x4" reducers are the same size as in they butt joint fit. You will need a union of some sort. I slabbed off 4" of sheet metal duct to act as a union / collar, and drilled / pop riveted then then taped to seal the joint.

I am still pending the 5" brackets which should be delivered today as the plastic strapping is just not doing the trick...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Note to all. Particularly @BigCountry79

A problem I found that I worked around my way, but it involved a fair amount of metal work...

The 5" branch wyes, and the 5"x4" reducers are the same size as in they butt joint fit. You will need a union of some sort. I slabbed off 4" of sheet metal duct to act as a union / collar, and drilled / pop riveted then then taped to seal the joint.

I am still pending the 5" brackets which should be delivered today as the plastic strapping is just not doing the trick...
Thanks for the heads-up. I actually think I will forego the reducers and make my own blast gates instead with 4" on one side and 5" on the other.

I did install my Wynn filter today and it's way better.
Food Hat Tableware Ingredient Sleeve

Building Wood Architecture Interior design Floor

Reactions: dbhost

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks for the heads-up. I actually think u will forego the reducers and make my own blast gates instead with 4" on one side and 5" on the other.

I did install my Wynn filter today and it's way better.
View attachment 435848
View attachment 435849
Oddly enough, I never installed the filter bag on mine. I bought it and the Wynn filter at the same time..

What time i could do today was spent installing the U hangers.... my ceiling needs to be redone sometime... I have it pretty well there though.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
@BigCountry79 I haven't seen any updates from you in quite a while. Have you made any progress on your 5" install? Kind of anxious to see how you are managing the blast gate situation...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
@BigCountry79 I haven't seen any updates from you in quite a while. Have you made any progress on your 5" install? Kind of anxious to see how you are managing the blast gate situation...
Nope. I've been making a lot of trips up to Chicago trying to manage my father's estate and giving some time back to my family on the time I spent away.

I have about 3 projects lined up before the shop reorganization.

Reactions: dbhost

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
#5. Charlotte Pipe 4" DWV 10' joint. QTY 1 $10.98 Lowes
#6. Charlotte Pipe 4" DWV branch wye QTY 3 $7.78 Lowes
#12. Charlotte Pipe 4" DWV 45 degree elbows. QTY 12 $2.58 Lowes.
did you actually buy pvc piping at these prices?
right now 10 ft of pvc is $38, wye is $21 and 45° is $10
ouch
ouch
ouch

i'm just getting into dust collection, tired of hearing the shop vac and still having a mess
looking thru some old threads to see how some peoples did it
bought a craigslist hf 2hp collector

·
Thumb Nailer
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
did you actually buy pvc piping at these prices?
right now 10 ft of pvc is $38, wye is $21 and 45° is $10
ouch
ouch
ouch

i'm just getting into dust collection, tired of hearing the shop vac and still having a mess
looking thru some old threads to see how some peoples did it
bought a craigslist hf 2hp collector
Nope. I went with 5" Snap Lock duct, with 5x5x5 ABS wyes and ABS 5x4 reducers. Haven not been too heavily used, but so far so good.Between that and the impeller upgrade it is doing a good job...

The install was a pain in the tail. I had to cut the snap lock to custom lengths using my angle grinder and HF cut off wheels. The ABS 5x5x5 wyes and 5x4 reducers are about 1/16" smaller in OD than the ID of the 5" snap lock pipe making a sloppy fit. I wrapped the outer portion of the wyes until I got a semi snug friction fit, and then pinned it together with pop rivets, and wrapped the joint with HVAC tape. It's not going anywhere any time soon, but if I ever get a clog it is going to be a paint to take apart and clear...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts