Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon fellow wood workers. This is more of a question regarding where to find high quality well documented wood working designs and plans.

Would you find it useful if you had a resource to find high quality, well documented wood working plans that covers everything from bookshelves to cabinets to desks?

I'm looking at starting such a website and am in the infancy of seeing if this is of interest to others. Also, would you be willing to pay for them or have unlimited access based on subscription?

This is no way meant to spam this forum. I'm just a designer who's also an amateur woodworker looking to solve a problem that I'm having. Maybe others could benefit too.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
There are many sites out there that offer good free plans right now. Many, many other scam sites offering plans.

I for one wouldn't be interested in pay or subscription plans, I usually design my own from pictures and styles I like.

If you are an amateur woodworker who is going to draw the plans for your site???

·
Registered
395 Posts
There are already several "pay for" and "subscription based" sites out there for plans and such
- the most notable (IMHO) being WOOD Magazine (online) and ShopNotes (online).

Other resources include . . . .

- FINE WOODWORKING

- WOODCRAFT

- PLANS NOW

The list goes on . . . an internet search will show many.

There are also quite a number of FREE resources available - including WOODSMITH and ANA WHITE

While I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit . . . I'm thinking that you'll find that most woodworkers would much rather find, develop and/or share woodworking plans for free rather than pay for them. Just my two-cents worth opinion, mind you - not to discourage you from your idea/venture.

:smile:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Without knowing exactly what you are looking for it's hard to make a recommendation. I have tried myself to find high quality detailed almost museum quality plans without a lot of luck.

Have you taken a look at Phil Lowe's plans? He runs the Furniture Institute of Massachuetts up around Boston. He puts out some high quality plans but they are pricey.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts