Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My band saw has had some issues with the blade slipping past the lower thrust bearing. I've given up looking for the right parts for this saw so I'm having to make do. The thrust bearing is perpendicular to the blade, so the blade rests on the edge of the bearing. I am thinking an increasing the outside diameter of the bearing by about 1/16" would solve my problem but them I'm left to find a bearing with an inside diameter of 3/8" and an outside diameter of 1 1/4". Where would I find a bearing with those specific dimensions or another way to increase the diameter of my original thrust bearing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What make/model bandsaw do you have? There might be a way to adjust it that someone will chime in on.. for example, on the Delta 14" and clones, the hex adjustment rod that the thrust bearing is mounted on has the mount point off center slightly.. by rotating the rod, you move the thrust bearing up/down/left/right.

Also, most bearings sold are metric.. and yours probably is as well. One of the most common thrust bearings is the 6200, which has a bore of just slightly bigger than 3/8" (10mm) and an OD of 30mm. Since you aren't using it as a typical bearing, having a slightly bigger bore doesn't really matter and any bearing with a 10mm bore should work as long as it isn't too thick. A 6300 would give you an extra 5mm diameter with a 2mm increase in thickness.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
Timken is probably the largest bearing manufacturer. Google them and I will bet you can find a bearing of exactly the type and size you want.

George

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
If you take that bearing to a bearing distributor (Bearing Distributors, or Applied Technologies, or several others) and describe what you want they may have it in stock.

·
where's my table saw?
29,621 Posts
sounds like an adjustment issue

As mentioned above see if the upper blade guide is centered on the blade when the side guides are backed away. Then see where the blade falls on the backup/thrust bearing. If necessary slide the whole guide assembly right or left to center it on the blade and retighten it.
That should cure you problem.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
If you take that bearing to a bearing distributor (Bearings Distributors, or Applied Technologies, or several others) and describe what you want they may have it in stock.
+1. take it off and bring it in. check the bearing o.d. dimensions vs oem, if correct than it sounds like you need to adjust bearing position.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The make and model are unknown. The previous owner took it upon themselves to remove all decals and there's nothing on it to ID it. Even the motor says "Single phase, 1/2 hp, 1725 rpm, made in china" and that is the only writing anywhere on it. I have done plenty of research and have found similar saws but nothing with parts that match and nothing that is 100% the same.

As far as adjustment if the lower guide assembly were to be where it needs to be the mounting holes don't match up or even overlap. Drilling and threading new holes would be the closest thing to adjustment I could do.

I will remeasure my bearing (metric this time) and check to find bearing distributors in the Birmingham Al area to see what i can find there. I have looked into a new and probably more adjustable lower guide assembly from Carter products but that would probably set me back over $200, and with a new grizzly bs running $450 it hardly seems worth it.

·
where's my table saw?
29,621 Posts
so it's cobbled up?

Then keep on reworking it just drill or enlarge the holes for the lateral adjustments. It's aluminum so that won't be difficult.
A photo of the guides would be of help on this issue. Unless the guides have been replaced with other than factory originals, you should be able to make this work easily. If you want or need a larger bearing then go for it as suggested.
If it were mine I'd remove the table, center the blade on the wheels, back out all the side guides and see where the blade lands on the back up bearings and go from there, but I work a lot in metal and would have no hesitation making the holes slotted for greater lateral adjustment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts