Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering where you guys purchase your stock. I recently made a oak toy cheat for my daughter. I purchased the oak boards from Menards and it was rather pricey. I live in north west Ohio and am wondering if there are other places to purchase wood other than the big box stores. I'll attach some pics of the toy chest to see what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Old School
24,017 Posts

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions.

Toy chest looks good. Well done. You could try local lumberyards. Or, look up in the Yellow Pages for hardwoods.

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
You might not have much choice if you don't live near a larger city. The stores like Menards is a retail outlet and normally charge nearly double what you could get the wood for at a wholesaler and a lesser grade wood. You might google hardwood lumber companies near where you live.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ask around friends, relatives, and others to find a sawyer in your area. Buying rough cut lumber from the source is much cheaper, but you will need a planer and maybe a jointer and a tablesaw to machine the lumber to your pleasing.

I buy my oak from the souce, @ $1.30bf. The big box stores charge 2 to 3 times that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts