Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a website that sells various kinds of tree logs or chunks of wood? Even a specialty lumberyard SE to Mid-Michigan?

I'm looking for a Christmas present for my dad. I'm not a woodworker at all, but my dad makes occasional end tables, clocks, cutting boards, etc out of logs. Was hoping to get him some wood he may have never worked with.

Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have never purchased from them, especially since I really got into woodworking more after no longer living in Michigan, but there is this place in Hemlock: http://www.barndoorlumber.com/ I think my dad has maybe purchased from them in the past, since my parents still live not too far from there, but I can't remember if it was from them or someplace else.

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
Is there a website that sells various kinds of tree logs or chunks of wood? Even a specialty lumberyard SE to Mid-Michigan?

I'm looking for a Christmas present for my dad. I'm not a woodworker at all, but my dad makes occasional end tables, clocks, cutting boards, etc out of logs. Was hoping to get him some wood he may have never worked with.

Mike
I don't know how SE to Mid Michigan you are looking to go, but I live in SE Michigan. I may be able to help you out. Let me know what you are looking for.

Mike Darr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike Darr,

I live in the Royal Oak area, can travel all between Detroit area, through the thumb, to the Bay City area.

I'm looking for wood you wouldn't find at typical lumber yards, or in Michigan, something with a unique grain. Last year he got a few logs of Mulberry from my sister's wood pile, and made a few things from it. Doesn't seem like much, but he really enjoyed it.

Mike Jones

·
Sawdust Maker
189 Posts
I live about 40 minutes from Royal Oak. I have some white oak logs that are from a barn I dismantled. The logs were cut over 100 years ago. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I would be willing to let a little bit go.

Mike Darr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, old wood is definitely something he'd like to work with, it's something he brings up time to time. I'm pretty much available any time, any day, up to Christmas. I'm not looking for too much, enough for a couple small projects.

Mike Jones

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.