Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, hypothetically speaking, imagine your wife and newborn infant had gone to the in-laws for a few days and you were left home to build shelves in order to clear out a room for a nursery.
Imagine you instead used that time to engage in other activities, I don't know, let's say drinking beer for instance.
Imagine you suddenly realised that you need an undersized 3/4" router bit to dado the plywood shelves and you cannot find one at any of the big stores on a sunday.
Imagine time is running out as your wife returns tuesday and will crush your testicles if they are not done.
Imagine you live in Jersey City but would drive anywhere in north jersey or nyc to get what you need.

Well fellas, how would you solve this notional conundrum?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I just saw an episode of Woodworks the other day and he took a dedicated router bit and carefully filed down both cutters til it cut a swath the size of the undersize plywood he was using.

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
yessir. really really easy, I would walk into my shop and pick em up and use em :}:}:}:} However in your case I would just Google undersized router bits for plywood. Willing to bet there is a place right close to you that has em. Meyers Tool Supply up by the GW bridge would have em also. Yellow Pages, tool suppliers, industrial supplies, cabinetshop supplies, a decent hardware store etc etc

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
other way, IF you have a tablesaw, just go to Lowes or the Orange Borg and buy a dado blade set, stacked. Freud makes a great set,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gentlemen, my testicles salute you.
If all else fails I'll but a cheap router bit and try Big Dave's suggestion although I'm wary of losing sharpness.
I have no table saw, and I never will get one if I fail to please "she who must be obeyed" but Skymaster, I shall try Meyers first thing. Thanks for the tip, I did try googling for tool supplies but you just can't tell what the stores they are throwing up will be like.

Any other tips appreciated.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS. I recently moved here from the UK in case you were wondering about me being completely unfamiliar with my surroundings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks again.

I think I'll head to Force, the distance is about the same but I expect less traffic and I'm more familiar with that area.

As for the beer, I drink it wet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you know what Homedepot is, you can check there for undersized router bits - although I am quite confused about what you mean by undersized. I assumed you meant something like 5/8 " bits -???-

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hi Slacky

If this all doesn't work out too well you might want to invest in a good protective cup, and some anaesthetic [let's say beer], before your wife gets home.

Good luck

Gerry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts