Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I think somewhere in the rules for woodworkers is that your first bench should be one that you've made.
Yea. I think you start with a solid core wood door and some 2Xs if I remember the rulebook (been awhile since I checked it). You use that for a little while and realize that it is just not working well, so you go fancier :laughing:. Here is a link, a google search will give you about a million other ideas too.
http://www.freeww.com/workbenches.html

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yea. I think you start with a solid core wood door and some 2Xs if I remember the rulebook (been awhile since I checked it). You use that for a little while and realize that it is just not working well, so you go fancier :laughing:. Here is a link, a google search will give you about a million other ideas too.
http://www.freeww.com/workbenches.html
I never got past that!!!:laughing: One day I'll build a "furniture" bench. One SOOOOOO nice I won't wanna do any werk on it 'case I scuff it up...............naw.:thumbdown:

·
Woodworker and Contractor
97 Posts

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I think we all "intend" to build our dream bench. I think we better get the "intentions" turned into "inventions" so to speak. I don't know about y'all but to me it seems that life is flying by at Mach 10. Or maybe even Warp 10.

·
Registered
803 Posts
A store bought bench ain't gonna give you EXACTLY what you need in a bench.
"The Workbench Book" by Scott Landis is a good reference.

Please reconsider a store bought bench over a self built one.

·
johnep
2,140 Posts
I just have a workmate and the tops of two chests drawers plus a flap.
No room for a proper bench, have used a door in the past.
johnep

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
make one?

Waddaya think I'm a woodworker or sumpthin?
Here's the deal. I already have a workbench. But, I've just finished a class on making wooden tools with Michael Mocho where we worked using "real" workbenches. Now, I'm 63 years old and I've never worked on anything as sweet as that. The other thing is, I simply don't want to take the time to make a workbench. I had to retire because of medical problems and there are too many days I can't do anything but sit still and wait to feel better. I started making rustic furniture not too long ago and I'd rather do that than make a bench. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments, however, and I'll let y'all know how it all works out, Lord willing...
Dennis

·
flatiron
71 Posts
Lie-Nielson builds one of the finest work benches made. But first thing you need to do is determine is what type of bench you personaly need. Do you do alot of plane work, if you do you need one that won't move when your usings hand plane or any hand work. If not built it to suit your type of work. Building one is the best way. Your ideal bench will probally change as you as develop you style of work

·
Registered
803 Posts
European style or contemporary style bench??? If the latter...Lee Valley has some nice looking tops.
Fine Woodworking "Tools & Shops" latest issue had a bench shoot-out recently.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use an old solid dinning room table for my workbench, But i must admit I do have a dream bench in my mind...to build of coarse.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thinking back on all the benches that I made there was only one free standing. All the others were built to a wall. I think I need another free standing bench again. Oh,and MORE ROOM!!!:laughing:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought the Sjoberg

I picked up a Sjoberg 1500 floor model from Woodcraft in Knoxville. The price tag was $999.99, but I got it for $720.00 with the base cabinet. I haven't actually used it yet, but I can tell you it's worth every penny. Got the flu right now but I'll be giving it a workout in a few days. More to come...
Dennis

1 - 20 of 29 Posts