Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheets, hook and loop disks, belts, shop rolls...I use alot (OK, my joinery is not the greatest). I can have a good pile of spent abrasive material at the end of the day, especially if I am doing turning work. I do a shop clean up and think to myself "Well, there went $10+ worth of sandpaper" in one day. It adds up, a decent sander may cost $100, but it will last years...$100 worth of paper can go in 2 weeks.

I would say abrasives are one of my most per/day expenses. I heat with wood, lights/electric are cheap for my small shop. Overhead and insurance are nill.

Cheap is not the best, I have went that route and been frustrated. I am talking quality for a decent price.

Any online resources you guys use?

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
How did you find Ballew Saw and Tool? I go to that place all the time and drool over the tools they have in there. They are a great company and started out sharpening saw blades.

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
How did you find Ballew Saw and Tool? I go to that place all the time and drool over the tools they have in there. They are a great company and started out sharpening saw blades.

I was just pushing my search engine around with sandpaper in the search field and I got this page: http://ballewsaw.com/default.htm, I call it the "motherload" because of the links that are within it. Gave me a good, inexpensive source for my belts on my 6" x 108" oscillating sander. I tried Mirka for my H&L sanding discs but found a better price. I was also looking for the "Silver" aluminum oxide coating. I find that this gives a much better finish with less swirl marks. It however, does not last as long as some of the other papers. But it saves time and frustration in the long run because of less re-sanding after a stain coat has gone on and swirl marks mar your finish.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks for the link Leo. I can't believe that I had never found them before...:huh: :huh: :huh:

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
You might also try Woodworker's Supply - www.woodworker.com - for your abrasive needs. Their abrasive arm is called A&H Supply and their abrasive line is very good. They also carry Regis in sanding discs--they have it all: belts, discs, drums, flatpper discs and wheels, pads, rolls sheets, sleeves, and spiral bands. Check them out.

Nancy

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Looked up the 6 x 108 sanding belts, almost double the price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Darren,
I think Texastimbers hit the nail on the head, Klingspor is probably the best bang for the buck. I've used them for the last two years and really like that I can get 1200 grit for my finish sanding and buffing.

On another avenue, Rockler is now selling some kind of metal disk that has been laser cut to be used as sandpaper. I haven't used them yet but for the $10.00 variety pak, I may have to satisfy my curiosity.

Scott A. Mordecki / Nailgunner7
http://fallentimber.mysite.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts