Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a unique router bit we use to trim up downhill skis - it adds a bevel and finishing touch to the plastic sidewall of the ski. It's mounted in a router table, and as the ski is passed through our jig the bearing rides along the steel ski edge while the bit shapes the sidewall.

Well, this thing is an expensive little bit from the photo source I linked, and I'm wondering if anyone has a good idea on alternate sources, or how I can make one? It's almost like a dovetail bit with a bearing, but I can't find any of those where the bearing is flush with the closest cutting surface like on the photo.

Thanks for any help - I know this is a long shot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True... something like below is this close but we really need that bearing tucked right up under the cutting surface.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whiteside can custom make one, if you can't find one available. I'd upsize the diameter, and go to a 1/2" shank.
OK, good to know, thanks! Might have to do that.

Thanks, I found those and it may be an option.

Where did you get the original bit?
From a private seller on a ski building website, I don't think they're available there anymore though - and they were still $75 a pop. If that's the price we have to pay we'll just have to bite the bullet, but I thought I'd ask the group here for thoughts.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Doesn't one of the dove tail jigs require bits like that? I think that if you look for dovetail bits for these specific jigs it might help. Whiteside seems to ring a bell. Ridge Carbide is in the business of making custom bits.

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
This is a unique router bit we use to trim up downhill skis - it adds a bevel and finishing touch to the plastic sidewall of the ski. It's mounted in a router table, and as the ski is passed through our jig the bearing rides along the steel ski edge while the bit shapes the sidewall.

Well, this thing is an expensive little bit from the photo source I linked, and I'm wondering if anyone has a good idea on alternate sources, or how I can make one? It's almost like a dovetail bit with a bearing, but I can't find any of those where the bearing is flush with the closest cutting surface like on the photo.

Leigh makes an 18 degree 1/4" shank bit. You could add the bearing yourself. Grind a flat place on the shank and tighten.

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts

Leigh makes/made an 18 degree 1/4" shank bit. All I see when I search, right now, are 1/2" shank (Leigh #128). You should talk to Brian at holbren.com. He deals in router bits and could find what you need if it's out there. He is a Whiteside dealer and CMT and a couple more. I Found an Amana '14' degree that is 1" wide at the flute but their 18 degree is only 1/2" at the flute top. I wasn't sure if that mattered as long as the angle was maintained.

http://www.amanatool.com/routerbits/dovetail-router-bits-45837.html

here's the CMT but you would have to add the bearing and it's only 1/2 at the flute as well...

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Cmt-818-132-11-Dovetail-Bit-p/cmt-818.132.11.htm

You could add the bearing yourself. Grind a flat place on the shank and tighten.

Sorry I can't be much more help

Paul

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
it looks like the whiteside D18-50 ($17.00). you need to add the 1/2" bearing B9 ($5) and lock collar LC 1/4 ($3) .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts