Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the below pictured coffee table is about ready to stain and finish. I'm concerned about being able to get a consistent finish on it in all the corners and crevices. Has anyone ever finished the pieces before assembly, and if so would you do it again?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yes I have an its not that hard where your glue joints are use tape an tape it off an stain away, once stain done then get the final finish on an then assemble. Just take your time :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem if you have the means of spraying the finish. It doesn't make as well construction to refinish the parts however it can be done. Some furniture companies especially Asian will make furniture completely in pieces and finish it and just box the parts to be assembled by the customer. The problem with having the wood finished is you would have to assemble it with two part epoxy as wood glue would no longer work with a finish on it.

For a project that small I could finish it with a little smudge pot compressor and a $25.00 Harbor Freight sprayer. I use a #97855 sprayer.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a sprayer and I've sprayed stuff before, but I'm concerned about staining evenly between all the spindles.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I have a sprayer and I've sprayed stuff before, but I'm concerned about staining evenly between all the spindles.
OK, I didn't think of the stain because I spray all of the stain I use. If you spray the stain on and quickly wipe off the excess it should stain alright. Working something that busy by hand I can see how the stain would become uneven. I can't tell from the picture if it is a wood that needs a wood conditioner.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's all rift sawn red oak....I've never used conditioner on oak before.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
You could have more of a problem spraying stain around the spindles than wiping. I rarely will finish parts before assembly. That's why it's called a "finish". Taping off glued areas doesn't always prevent seepage. I like doing all the assembly first. If there are problem areas that need addressing before stainbing and finishing, they can be addressed at that time.

For staining around tight areas, I use a rag, a brush, and a dry brush. I keep a dry rag near to keep the dry brush as dry as possible. I wipe on the stain, or brush it on, and then dry brush out the corners and crevices. With spraying, you will get loaded up areas, that will need to be evened out. Some of those areas you can't help getting too much media on, as some have to be done from different directions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts