Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When it's a box;) Made this out of some figured bubinga and purpleheart that was a Christmas gift...3/4 x 5 inch stock from a local Rocklershop. Cut the purpleheart to 3/4 square, the bubinga covers ripped to 3/8" and bookmatched to get the width. It's being finished with Danish oil, and the brass hinge pins (sticking out for now while it dries) will be covered with plugs. image-2245395173.jpg image-3684935181.jpg

image-4122316216.jpg

When the light hits the bubinga I see a really nice wavy, varying depth effect to the grain, depending on the angle. Mark V.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well that's different. Looks great I might have to borrow that idea.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx...as with the Shut The Box Game I made, I got the plans from Steve Ramsey's Woodworking For Mere Mortals website...he's got lots of neat things in there that are relatively easy to make, along with Youtube videos of the process.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Well done. I've made a couple of Steve Ramsey's projects as well (not this one though). I really like the looks of this "book" box. You did a fine job.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks...for me the trickiest part was locating the hinge holes located right so that the lid could open freely without splitting. As it was I almost split one side as the hole was off by about a 16th, but by widening it a bit with some sideways motions of the drill bit I was able to make enough wiggle room. I was going to do the ripping of the top & bottom on my bandsaw but I wasn't too confident with how it's tracking, so i ended up using the table saw and setting the blade to cut halfway, then flipping the piece over and finishing the cut.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found that I have enough wood left over to make another book box...so I'm going to make it set, with the second one having the wood pieces reversed i.e. the covers/spine of purpleheart and the "pages" of the bubinga.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Very nice. I need to check out WWMM more often.

Mark

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first one took me about 3 days, what with waiting for the glued joints to cure before I could start sanding... then another day or so for the danish oil. I started the second box today - cut the pieces to size and glued the page rectangle together, plus resawed the covers and bookmatched the halves and they're glued too. Tomorrow should be initial sanding, rounding out the spine and edges, then gluing the page piece onto the back cover & spine. Next is drilling the hinge holes, final sanding, and then danish oil application.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've made this box and used plywood or spectraply as the "pages" of the book. It really gives the look of there being individual pages inside. Good job!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spectraply...is that that multi-hued plywood-looking stuff? I've seen some smallish pieces at my local Rockler, looks like they are used for pen blanks or bowl blanks. Aye, they would make some interesting "pages" indeed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, that is what it is. You can find longer ones, and they look really nice in that kind of project.
igster said:
Spectraply...is that that multi-hued plywood-looking stuff? I've seen some smallish pieces at my local Rockler, looks like they are used for pen blanks or bowl blanks. Aye, they would make some interesting "pages" indeed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts