Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always evaluate a woodworker by what he produces, not by what he says.

"Notes from my garage" Vol. I

·
Registered
303 Posts
Do a dry run first....no pun intended. Glue ups almost always require more hands, more clamps, and more clamp pads than we have on hand. By doing a dry run (without glue) you will find out what you are missing before a disaster happens. Alcohol is the last thing you need during a glue up. It is hard enough to keep your wits together and think clearly during a glue up without alcohol clouding your neurons.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Almost every project I do has a "glue up" involved. Sometimes the time required to get the glue on everything and then get all the clamps in place is pushing the "open time" envelope. This is how I speed the process up so that I get it done in the time required time frame.

Plan ahead and be organized:

1. Dry fit everything to make sure it all goes together the way you plan.
2. Fill your glue bottles
3. Clean up the work area, put the tools you are not going to use away,
4. Get all your needed clamps out and pre-set the the clamping width.
5. Select your glue spreading devise ( brush, roller, squeeze bottle) and then test your glue spreading technique on a piece of scrap wood.
6. have a damp rag handy for clean ups

Once you are all organized, then go for it. Don't answer the phone until after you are all done. Hope this helps.

Bret

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
I'm with Bret. Prep is 90% of the game. I don't struggle with glue up because I put more time into getting the wood as perfect as possible before gluing. Facing when ever you can allows you to then plane them flat and even from one side to the other over their entire length.

image-1751247359.jpg

This is a flat stack that glued up quite well.

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was meant to be hilarious! I have done so many dry fits that it makes me sore. I enjoy my projects through and through. But , Sometimes you do have to say, "olie olie oxen free free free and make a run fot it. Nice to meet you all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts