Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am about to build a face frame for a bench to cover up the end grains of plywood and have a question. What do you do when you have face frame one two sides that meet up at the corner? Normally with trim I'd just do a mitre and be done with it, but this is an 18in vertical piece of poplar 1x2, do you still mitre? Here are some pictures of what I want it to look like (one continuous piece). Is that just two pieces of face frame butted up against one another and filled/sanded?

Cabinetry Rectangle Wood Shelving Gas

Furniture Table Computer desk Shelf Drawer

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
The way you're constructing it is "ok", it looks like you're attaching the boards to plywood rather than making an actual face frame which is applied to the box as a unit.

Just for the sake of terminology, stiles are the long pieces and rails are the pieces that fit in between (stiles soar, rails run). When we think of doors, stiles usually run vertically, but they can also run horizontally and still be called stiles.

For the "rails" (vertical strips) I would simply butt and glue the boards. I will usually leave the overlapping edge a tad proud flush trim it. Also, trim the width of the board off one side to make the reveals equal.

You need to tighten up your joinery a little or you'll be doing a lot of filling and sanding! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way you're constructing it is "ok", it looks like you're attaching the boards to plywood rather than making an actual face frame which is applied to the box as a unit.

Just for the sake of terminology, stiles are the long pieces and rails are the pieces that fit in between (stiles soar, rails run). When we think of doors, stiles usually run vertically, but they can also run horizontally and still be called stiles.

For the "rails" (vertical strips) I would simply butt and glue the boards. I will usually leave the overlapping edge a tad proud flush trim it. Also, trim the width of the board off one side to make the reveals equal.

You need to tighten up your joinery a little or you'll be doing a lot of filling and sanding! Hope this helps.
Sorry I should have clarified, those pictures are just examples, they aren't my project. I am trying to get it figured out before I actually build the frame. Thanks for the terminology, I always get it confused.

So you usually just butt the pieces up against each other and don't mitre any corners? This is a model of what I'm building, How do you hide that seam when you butt the corners of the face frame, specifically the stiles?

Rectangle Material property Table Parallel Glass

·
Registered
27,544 Posts
You miter the frame at the corner.

By the way it's customary to make the stiles on the ends to go all the way top to bottom like a cabinet door. Even if you sand it level and paint it the joints will eventually show. The stiles in the middle are right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You miter the frame at the corner.

By the way it's customary to make the stiles on the ends to go all the way top to bottom like a cabinet door. Even if you sand it level and paint it the joints will eventually show. The stiles in the middle are right.
Ah man, is there a good resource for what is customary? These little details are great, thanks! So you mitre the stiles at the corner?

Maybe I should just post my overall design and have it picked at so I can fine tune it.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
May I suggest a good book?

Illustrated Cabinetmaking: How to Design and Construct Furniture that Works
Author: Bill Hylton

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did a built-in similar to what you are doing. I simply had the face frame extend about 1/16" past each side, so that the sides butted into them, making it "a feature." From the front, you don't want to see the edge of the side frame. For what I did, I left the sides as simple as possible, didn't do a "frame," just did trim against the wall and floor.
Product Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Material property

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Sorry I should have clarified, those pictures are just examples, they aren't my project. I am trying to get it figured out before I actually build the frame. Thanks for the terminology, I always get it confused.

So you usually just butt the pieces up against each other and don't mitre any corners? This is a model of what I'm building, How do you hide that seam when you butt the corners of the face frame, specifically the stiles?
Miters introduce an unnecessary layer of work, especially on a painted piece.

Make the stiles (verticals) on the ends run full length top to bottom. Rails will run the full length horizontally, and then you drop vertical rails (what Steve referred to as stiles) in where needed.

Lots if videos in building a face frame…….

·
Registered
Termite
4,970 Posts
PRobles with books is its their version of cabinetry. Plenty of ex-cabinet makers on the forum to assist...

·
Registered
27,544 Posts
Ah man, is there a good resource for what is customary? These little details are great, thanks! So you mitre the stiles at the corner?

Maybe I should just post my overall design and have it picked at so I can fine tune it.
Really the best way to tell what is customary is to pay attention to how cabinets and furniture you see are constructed. I think your cabinet would look more normal if it was done like this. Rectangle Table Material property Parallel Shade

·
Registered
Termite
4,970 Posts
As mentioned its typical to overlay the face frame over the end.
Brown Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain
Brown Wood Amber Floor Flooring

·
Registered
98 Posts
Really the best way to tell what is customary is to pay attention to how cabinets and furniture you see are constructed. I think your cabinet would look more normal if it was done like this. View attachment 430830
My thoughts exactly. Pay attention to details of furniture and cabinets you come across and decide what you like and what is in your skill level.

·
Registered
Termite
4,970 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Pay attention to details of furniture and cabinets you come across and decide what you like and what is in your skill level.
That's not a furniture design corner. That's looks more like a fast build. Furniture will have a " leg"....

·
Registered
733 Posts
That's not a furniture design corner. That's looks more like a fast build. Furniture will have a " leg"....
Meaning that the stile (vertical) at the corner would extend down as a leg?

Mitered or butted--maybe it's a matter of taste, and there's no accounting for taste.

·
Registered
Termite
4,970 Posts
How you want to build it, is totally up to you.

I use to build a lot of things that were cabinetry, called furniture

1 - 20 of 30 Posts