Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While hiking recently I stumbled upon a spruce (?) knot which was free of any surrounding wood - the original tree had totally rotted away and all that was left was the "knot". Does anybody know a single word for this type of knot? You can find a picture of it at http://danwiz.com/misc/Knot_resize.jpg
It is a single knot, but 2 photos. The length is about 5.3 inches. This photo shows it after I spent probably 50 hours sanding it down to get it all smooth (40 grit paper, followed by various grades through 320 grit and finally #000 steel wool). The photo shows it after one coat of finish and then a light steel wool job. At this point (not done yet) - I have applied 4 coats of finish and used #000 steel wool between each coat - it's looking nice!

Thanks for your help!
http://danwiz.com/misc/Knot_resize.jpg

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
I am aware of two types of knots - live knots and dead knots.

A live knot was part of the surrounding timber and a dead knot was not. A dead knot would be loose as the branch had died and the tree continued to grow around the dead branch. That is my understanding. From what you describe it sounds like a dead knot that out survived the tree from which it came.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent JBSmall!! A Google Image search proved you to be correct in calling it a Powderhorn Knot!! WOW, Thanks so much! I have been Googling every person's responses and then clicking on the "Images" button.
It now has 5 coats of finish on it and looks really nice after using the #000 Steel wool between each coat. When it's finally finished I'll post another photo.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and your efforts. Much appreciated!

·
Small Member
311 Posts
Excellent JBSmall!! A Google Image search proved you to be correct in calling it a Powderhorn Knot!! WOW, Thanks so much! I have been Googling every person's responses and then clicking on the "Images" button.
It now has 5 coats of finish on it and looks really nice after using the #000 Steel wool between each coat. When it's finally finished I'll post another photo.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and your efforts. Much appreciated!
WOW! An acorn for a blind hog! I never heard of it(such a name for that kind of high-resin rot-survivor), but just called it like I saw it.

If it weren't so beautiful on its own, I'd think it might use a little scrimshaw...maybe some tall pines, log-raft, flume, sawmill....

·
Registered
9 Posts
In answer to the OP's original question. I have no idea what the peculiar horn shaped knots are, but basically there are two types of knots. and yes, they do have names: red knots and black knots. Red knots are formed when the stem of the tree (trunk) grows around and encapsulates a living branch. A black knot is when the same thing happens to a branch that has previously died. Red knots are tight, smooth with no included bark and are less offensive than black, which are always considered a defect due to their looseness, included bark and propensity to fall out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I am wanting to show you a finished photo of the project. I was able to post a link in my very first post to this forum so that you could see the knot I was referring to, but now the board is telling me that I cannot post a link - so let me try it without the full link format and you'll have to copy and paste the following text to be able to see the image. This image is 3 photos, magnetic lassoed in Photoshop, inserted into a new image and eventually finished and saved as a JPG image.

danwiz.com/Aug2012/3LevelsModifyHue-8_FrameRC.jpg

Maybe one of you more senior members could insert either a real link or else the image itself, if you think it's worth showing off as a woodworking project.

·
7,222 Posts
Well, I am wanting to show you a finished photo of the project. I was able to post a link in my very first post to this forum so that you could see the knot I was referring to, but now the board is telling me that I cannot post a link - so let me try it without the full link format and you'll have to copy and paste the following text to be able to see the image. This image is 3 photos, magnetic lassoed in Photoshop, inserted into a new image and eventually finished and saved as a JPG image.

danwiz.com/Aug2012/3LevelsModifyHue-8_FrameRC.jpg

Maybe one of you more senior members could insert either a real link or else the image itself, if you think it's worth showing off as a woodworking project.
Here is the file. If I did not know these were knots, I would have thought they were some kind of horn. Nice presentation.

Artifact Horn Art

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Dave Paine, appreciate it. I hope everybody understands that this is just ONE KNOT --- photos taken from 3 different angles.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
That is a cool looking knot. It really does look like actual horn. If I may suggest, this deserves a nicer base. You ought to try to find a prettier piece of wood to mount it to.

The piece itself looks really cool.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts