Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out the right tool for the job. Take a 24" long log with bark and cut the four sides off leaving a square inside. I want to take each of the four sides flat side down and "scoop" out a flat area to do carvings on the "planed out" bark side bark side. Think of a planer but not the entire surface but leaving a bark "frame". This would need to be done on a small production scale. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Are you doing this green or are you going to dry the four cut off sides? I suppose you could use a jointer to joint the non-bark side and then use a planer set to depth to take it off. You could use a hand planer. You could use a draw knife or scorp. You could do it rough with a chainsaw and then run it through a belt or drum sander i'd think....Production scale? Answer dry or green first.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Band saw?

Build a sled and use the table saw?

·
where's my table saw?
27,853 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Maybe I am missing something. You cut off one side. That gives you a flat edge to the make square cuts for the other three sides. The only issue is the size of the saw needed. In the way back days, it might have been an adz, or two guys above/below with a two-man saw.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts