Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been buying already planed and sanded wood for my projects. Plan on getting a thickness planer next week and was wondering the average savings on rough sawn wood. Say 1x10 oak..for example.
It's Sunday and the supplier I use is closed today so I can't call.
thanx

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have saved quite a bit since I bought my Dewalt 12" planner. Oak at Lowe's was running about $4 a board foot. The 5/4" rough sawn is running me about $1.70 a board foot from the sawmill. It didn't take but a couple of projects for that planner to pay for itself. The only thing I wished I had done differently was buy the 24" wide model. Then I could glue up my pieces before planning.

·
Super Moderator
4,405 Posts
If you are buying from a lumber distributor who can supply you with whatever species you would like in the rough and/or milled form. Then I think it is worth the price for them to mill it for you. Not only do they have sophisticated double sided planers that operate at a much higher feed rate than the shop planers, you must remember that you need to get rid of all the shavings that the planer produces. I almost always get my stock thickness planed and straight line ripped. When I get it in the rough I will be building doors or furniture. The planers they use will take out some of the lengthwise bowing of the board and almost all of the cupping but it rarely comes perfectly straight, which is something you need for a door. Recently I have been getting my stock skip-planed, a 4/4 board will be run through at 15/16" and take most of the roughness away but still leave the thickness.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
I can't imagine woodworking without a planer for any reason. i have 3 of them. One 12", one 13" and a 6" x 18" four sided planer.
I need something in the middle obviously, like a 20" er. Christmas is right around the corner but I doubt I'll fiund one under the tree this year.

Billy, get the planer by all means. You need it whether you thnk so or not!:yes:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I always buy my stock rough cut from my sawyer. Oak, Red and White, cherry, costs me $1.25 per BF, Black walnut and Pecan when he has it, is $3.00 per BF. I have not even thought of checking the big box stores for lumber, but, might just check to see what the price is this weekend.

I bought my Delta 12" planer 10 years ago and it is still going strong, with not a problem yet. If I had my druthers, a 20" or 24" would be very welcome, although I do have access to a 24" when I need it at the AF base close by. (15 min drive). Fortunatele I am retired military so access is quite easy.

BTW, you may want to think about wide belt sander or wide drum sander also. One of those will be my next big purchase. A 6" or 8" jointer is also worth thinking about if you don't already have one.

Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
am looking for a new planer, have checked on e-bay and stores. Can purchase a new DeWalt on e-bay for $399.00, Model DW734, a DW735 at Lowes costs $549.00. Other than the monetary difference, is there a difference between these machines?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
The 5/4" rough sawn is running me about $1.70 a board foot from the sawmill.
I know this is not Saw and Timber and off subject, but that is why I don't saw oak on my mill. I can buy all the rough sawn kiln dried oak I want for $1.50 bft.

If I am sawing someone elses logs I get $.35 ft, and the same for drying for a total of $.70. If I had to buy sawlogs oak goes for $.50 bft ($500 mbft.) To buy/saw/dry oak lumber I would have $1.20 in the wood (my way of figuring it, labor that I COULD have made custom) in lumber I can BUY for an extra $.30. That is handling it one time, not 3,4,5 times like I do when I am doing all the work myself.

Figure in wear and tear on the equipment (and my back), insurance, the added labor of all the mill waste disposal, not to mention dealing with crooked loggers. A couple bad logs in a load and I am loosing money.

Some people come around wanting to buy oak, I tell I don't have any for sale it's not worth messing with and they just give me a funny look. I get some free oak logs, but don't hunt for them really if they show up they show up. I will mill anything anyone brings around for them. But for myself or to try to sell I only mess with big clear walnut, big clear cherry and figured woods (some osage, cedar, locust but most of that is for me )

Attachments

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
dwyr,

I would stay away from any planer that uses only disposable knives. The 735 is that way, I think the 734 too (?).
The only blades that are available for them are expensive for a benchtop hobby grinder of this quality. I liked the machine until I discovered you can't buy resharpenable knives, because I bought it as a stop gap measure one Sunday when I burned up my shop planer.
I got to looking over Grizzly's site and for another $300ish you get get the 1037Z which is also a moulder!
I know $300 is alot but if you can swing it I don't think you would regret it.
I wouldn't get any of the Grizzly models below that model though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got my dewalt 735 and use it surprisingly alot, even though I have not found a source for rough lumber in my area. Going to use it to clean up 40 pieces of 3x6x10 redwood , that look like firewood now. The few sample pieces I ran look amazing.
Sanded oak is $5.40 a bd foot in my area. If I can get anywhere close to the prices for rough sawn oak you guys are quoting, I'll be freakin happy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, those prices are just crazy.
I just bought some cherry from the local supplier--kiln dried, but rough, $7.40bf.

Did someone say $1.35????

They also S2S for $.50bf. I think that's a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Yeah, those prices are just crazy.
I just bought some cherry from the local supplier--kiln dried, but rough, $7.40bf.

Did someone say $1.35????
I think that might have been a mistype, black cherry is $1+ bft in the log on the truck around here for good sawlogs. And we don't have real good cherry here, walnut yes. Kiln dried rough cut 6" wide 5/4 cherry goes for about $4.50 bft with no knots or sapwood. The price goes up of course if you get wider.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The local supplier has 4/4 cherry for 7.15/BF I'll have to see what the sawmill I usually get stuff from wants (rough of course).... I could use a couple Pcs. of Cherry.............

·
Registered
789 Posts
If you are going to make woodworking your lifetime hobby, and think you will buy a planer, do not short yourself. I bought a new 18 inch Woodmaster...and kick myself everytime I look at it and wish I ponied up the extra money for the 24.

·
Senior Member (by age)
64 Posts
Hi guys;
We used a 12" planer for a number of years, prior to setting up a pro cabinet shop, and really didn't realize what a difference there is in speed, between the 12" unit we were using, and the 20" powermatic we're using now.

Actually it was kind of funny because we were looking around for the pile of wood that we didn't plane yet. Didn't seem possible to be done so soon!

We often have the supplier take a light pass off both sides of the wood when we buy it, so we are still able to joint it flat, prior to taking it to it's finished thickness.

This way we can see the grain, and do our layouts. This helps in making sure we have good color and grain match in adjoining pieces.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts